38. - RUNS IN THE FAMILY

𝙪𝙣𝙗𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙙

thirty-eight. edward the ill-fated!

 — edward the ill-fated!

THEY SLAMMED THE doors wide open

THEY SLAMMED THE doors wide open. Inside, the chambers were warm and well-lit, if a bit bare in their entirety. Logs crackled as fire burned away in a cove set inside the walls, and the bed — when closely examined — was rumpled and askew. Someone had slept among those sheets, laid their head against that pillow; and recently.

"Where is she?" the Earl of Warwick hissed out, frustrated.

Ducking his head into the nursery, only to find it empty of any children, the Duke of Clarence turned to face him.

"She has escaped, I presume."

"But she had no warning. None!"

George sighed irritatedly, "Well, clearly she did, Warwick." He would not admit that he was relieved — his grudge was not with his younger brother's wife, but with her witch of an eldest sister. "She must have sought sanctuary as well."

Breathing in deeply, the earl shook his head.

"No. Look around you. The furniture, the tapestries, chests of jewelry and clothes ... do you see any?"

George did not.

Warwick nodded, "Exactly. She is not in sanctuary. She has gone to one of the castles in her keeping."

"Which one?"

"Rockingham," he answered immediately. "It would make the most sense. Nothing can topple a castle that the Conqueror built."

"But we have the way to Northampton blocked." The duke pointed out.

His father-in-law affirmed, "Yes. So we need not chase after her. She will trip right into our arms." With that, he spun on his heel and stormed out of the chambers.

George hesitated for a moment, and picked up a stuffed doll that had fallen by the bed — one that must have gotten lost in his sister's hurry to escape.