i could be a better boyfriend

warnings: swearing, angst, drinking, cheating, mentions of sex (things got hot and heavy but nothing smutty happens), manipulation.

paring: reader x matthew tkachuk

a/n: ok so i saw a lot of people doing fics based off of this song and i have just now came up with a brilliant idea. since i came up with a valentines day fic after valentines... i have come to redeem myself with this one!! whooo hoooo!! i got a littke carried away here and i'm not sure how i feel about it but; enjoy! <3

word count: 2k+

you hated matthew tkachuk. hated was most likely an understatement. there was no doubt that matthew had the same feelings, you two had never gotten along.

you were only forced to be near him because you so happened to be his younger brother, brady tkachuk's best friend.

you and brady have been attached at the hip since you met back in 2nd grade. you had been bullied by a group of catty girls and brady so happened to be there to defend you. after that, he called you beautiful and gave you his sour patch kids. best friends ever since.

being so close with brady, came along matthew. being the older brother matthew was, he would always come to bother you two whenever he possibly could. you hated him for it.

matthew would always try to ruin your things, rather that be your barbie you had left behind — because you had forced brady to play dolls with you— or a science project you had been working on, count on matthew to destroy it.

brady would often drag you to mathew's games with him because he claimed that it was boring to watch his brother play, and you being you went to every single one with him. going with brady to the games did have a perk.

those games is where you met your current boyfriend, ethan. ethan was a teammate of matthew's for 3 years, in his second year, when you were 15- almost 16- and he was freshly 17, you two had met.

you had instantly taken interest to the boy, he was absolutely gorgeous and had a great sense of humour. after some dates and lots of talking, ethan asked you to be his girlfriend a few years later. you have been dating him for 4 years, he was all your firsts.

ethan however, often had his slip ups. he would lose his temper and take stuff out on you. he would yell, a lot. in the end, he would always apologize a million times and you would have amazing 'im sorry' sex.

somehow, the universe had put you together with someone matthew hated. while matthew claimed to
dislike you, he was actually so in love.

he of course never admitted to it, after all you were his little brother's best friend. but thats why matthew had treated you the way he did, because he didn't know how to deal with the crush he had.

when matthew had been drafted to the calgary flames in 2016 and came home for christmas break one season, to see you and ethan officially together wasn't his greatest joy.

matthew was jealous. what made it no better was that, ethan didn't treat you how you deserved to be treated. whenever matthew would come home during the off season, or holidays, he would notice the certain things ethan does that hurts you.

at chantal's yearly christmas parties, he would leave you alone at the table to sit by yourself until brady would notice your loneliness and join you. determined to make you smile at least once. happened every year.