Struck It

If Sodapop recognized me at all, he didn't seem to show it. He was radiant. Round blue eyes and long blonde lashes that cast sharp shadows. Rosy red cheeks that flushed even more red when he smiled, and a jawline that could cut you if you ran your hand across it. I couldn't help but stare, as I took in the fallen angel known as Sodapop.

"Of course! How would you like your change in?"

I opened my mouth to talk but no words came out. My cheeks burned from embarrassment and perhaps, maybe even shame, as I stood there speechless and stupid.

To me, it felt like a whole decade had passed before I replied, "QUARTERS!"

Mouth dry, I gulped as Sodapop gave me a kind but confused look.

"Sorry ma'am but you didn't give me a bill yet."

Instantly, out of my sheer overflow of emotions, I slammed a one dollar bill onto the counter and apologized profusely. Again, he smiled, this time a sympathetic one.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked. "You seem out of it."

Once more, I replied out of my overflowing emotions, perhaps sharing too much but I didn't care at this point.

"I'm lost. I promised my friend Ponyboy that I'd go to his place so we could hang at the Dingo, but I got lost. I barely know this place; just moved in three weeks ago. I tried phoning him but had NO sign of quarters in my pocket-" I dramatically turned the pocket of my skirt inside out, "-AND THEN got honked at. Now I'm here, asking for change from the boy I saw from the Dingo last Saturday."

A flash of recognition shone in Sodapop's eyes. "You! I remember you too! Funny how our paths crossed again, huh? It must be fate too, 'cuz Pony's my kid brother, and I've heard him talk on the phone to you 'bout five times a day! Say, why don't you hang around here, and we can head home together after my shift ends?"

As I was about to eagerly accept his invitation, I stopped and thought about Ponyboy. Would he be disappointed?

This dilemma seemed to reflect on my face, because Soda reached across the counter and patted my shoulder.

"It'll only be half an hour. Plus, I think Pony would appreciate the surprise."

Giving in, I agreed to the plan, but told Sodapop that I'd call Pony first, to tell him I'd be late.

"Okay," the golden boy had replied. "But don't run your mouth too much."

Pony seemed out of breath when I called, and almost had some sort of tone of relaxation when I told him I'd be late.

"Take your time Y/N! No need to rush."

A voice laughed loudly behind him, and just as he was about to hang up, I heard a sharp shriek of laughter. It cut off, and was replaced by the dial tone; I stood there silently, content with having told Pony. Yet this contentment was only temporary, as I went into worry about hanging out with SODAPOP.

We knew each other as much as a dolphin knew the desert. What was I to say to him? I was already glowing a bright red, and I knew this would carry on as long as I was anywhere near Sodapop Curtis. Then again, such an offer cannot be passed up, so I pulled up my ankle socks, tightened my shoelaces, and began going to the DX.

last upload of my little spree