chapter 27.

asteria grey circa 1972

November 1, 1972

1:30 pm

Unfortunately for Asteria, the Gryffindor Common Room was packed as her and Lily stepped in. Pomfrey had managed to easily heal the various cuts littering her arms, none of them being deep enough to cause any harm - she had simply massaged them with some dittany and bandaged them - but her hair was a different story. The Mediwitch had recently run out of the Hair-Growth potion - Slughorn would need to brew more, so until then, Asteria would be bald. She would have to come back in the morning, and drink the potion under Pomfrey's supervision to ensure that her hair wouldn't reach Rapunzel length.

"Nice hair, Little Lion!" Frank Longbottom called out from the corner of the common room, and Asteria stuck her tongue out at him. Subconsciously, she ran the tips of her fingers against the smooth scalp of her head. Once again, the anger and contempt she held for Mulciber burned brighter than anything ever had.

"Did you really break Avery's nose?" one of the Quidditch team's Chasers, Nico Bell, called out, regarding the blonde girl with a quizzical look.

"Maybe, maybe not," she said in response, before leaning over to Lily and whispering, "Blimey, news travels fast here."

"We heard Mulciber looked like a thousand bees attacked him," Ian Jordan, who was sitting with Bell, added, "By the looks of you, I'd say it's deserved. I'd kill a bastard if he got rid of my hair."

Asteria snorted, "Took everything in me not to."

From the corner of her eye, she could see the Marauders burst into laughter as they stared at her. Her eyes zeroed in on them, and she stalked over to them as she crossed her arms. "What are you all laughing at?"

They immediately sobered up, but both Peter and James still had an echo of a smile on their face. "N-nothing!" Peter exclaimed, but he couldn't help himself and both him and James started cackling again. "Can I - can I touch your head - it just looks so smooth."

Asteria glared at Peter. "I expected that of James, or Sirius, but not you," she shook her head, looking at him in exaggerated sorrow. "I thought what we had was special, Pete. Now you go ahead and betray me like this - truly, I'm hurt."

She held the sorrowful look for a few more moments, before both her and Peter dissolved into laughter. The four second years gathered around them stared at them in confusion, wondering what on earth was happening - usually, James and Sirius would be the ones acting out a Shakespeare play.

Peter stood up before immediately going down on his knees, clasping his hands before him, "My dearest Ria, her Holy Baldness, please forgive me."

Asteria stroked her chin for a moment, dramatically looking at Lily before turning back to Peter. Finally, she nodded, taking his hand and pulling him up to his feet. "All is forgiven, my loyal servant." She smiled, but her eyes narrowed as she walked up to him and whispered right into his ear, "Never ask to touch my smooth head again."