Part 6

Warning: Gore...?

It had been five days since I had arrived at the Final Selection. 

I sat on the dirt floor, panting heavily, my back against a thick oak tree. I had fought off demons for five days straight, without rest. I rested my arms on my knees, katana still in my hand. 

I heard growling beside me. Demon. I thought. In one quick swing of my sword, I decapitated the demon, blood spewing from its neck. 

The blood splattering everywhere fazed me in the beginning. But eventually, I became used to it.  

I ran away from the demon's lifeless body in attempt to get away from any of its friends that heard the commotion. As I ran, I tried to ignore the multiple human bodies that lay on the ground.

Their blank, lifeless eyes staring at nothing in particular. Sometimes they were easier to ignore, for example if they were killed from a broken neck, less blood. And other times, they were almost impossible to overlook. Blood pooling around their body, staining the ground as well as their clothes. Stab wounds, blood dribbling from their nose and mouth.

I found another tree to lean against to catch my breath. 

Footsteps.

Footsteps so loud and heavy it shook the earth under me. I perked up, ready to fight whatever was coming, even if I would die trying. 

A look of horror was plastered on my face, as if I had seen death himself. Which in my case wasn't that far off.

An enormous demon the size of an elephant stomped down the forest's path. It was an ugly shade of green and had multiple hands on its body. In one of his many hands, he held a girl by her throat.

I could tell the girl was already dead because she bore that faraway look in her eyes I had seen on the other dead bodies. Blood dripped from a very deep cut on her neck. 

Anger.

I felt so much anger towards that demon. The girl was no older than thirteen years old, she didn't deserve to die so early. None of the people here did. I figured that hand demon was the cause of most of the other people's deaths. 

Without thinking, I charged at him, roaring with rage and hatred.

It noticed me immediately and it tossed away the girl as if he were a child who had gotten bored of an old toy. 

His hands shot towards me and I cut them all, separating them from his body. 

I was blinded by my rage and grew reckless and sloppy. A hand shot out of nowhere, I saw it from the corner of my eye. 

It grabbed me by my throat and squeezed. Hard.

I tried to cry out but it only came out as a deflated whimper.

Pull yourself together. I told myself in my head. 

I closed my eyes and focused, my breathing became even. My heart stopped racing.

I lifted my sword and cut off the arm holding my neck. My katana cut through his arm like a steak knife through soft butter.

"My, my. You're a smart one." He said to me in a distorted voice. I was shocked.

"You can talk?" I asked him, cocking my head.

"Of course. It helps me a lot."

"How so?" I arched an eyebrow at him.

"Well... it does help distract my opponents."

My eyes widened as I finally realized what was happening. One of his arms stabbed through my chest, grazing my heart. Blood spewed from my parted lips, splattering on the demon's arm. 

Pain erupted in my chest. This burning, agonizing pain. As if thousands of needles were piercing my eye. 

Another one of his arms latched onto my arm and pulled it off. I screamed out loud, my cry echoing through the forest. My ripped off arm fell to the ground, the ripped tendons displaying themselves proudly. 

Thick, red blood leaked from the hole under my shoulder, seeping into the fabric of my light blue kimono. The blood snaked down my kimono, the blood expanding on the seems. 

The demon ripped his arm from my chest, and another scream left my lips. Blood dribbled onto my lips, leaving a disgusting feeling in my mouth. The metallic taste of the red liquid made me feel like venom was in my mouth instead of blood.

I collapsed onto the ground, losing my will to live. My katana was no longer firmly gripped in my hand. 

Another one of the hand demon's hands stabbed my leg, punching a hole through my left leg. I could no longer scream as I was choking on the blood in my mouth. 

"Just kill me. Put me out of my agony." I managed to spit out, blood shooting out of my mouth. 

"Good idea." He said to me, before I was bombarded by his many arms. They stabbed me in every inch of my body, blood shooting out in every direction. 

I had the faraway look in my own eyes. The last of my blood had spilled out of my body, decorating my dirt ground. A trail of dried blood dripped from my corner of my mouth to my chin.

The world went black.

My eyes fluttered open. It was white eveywhere, and it took my eyes a while for my eyes to adjust to the brightness of the white. 

My sister, Himari, peered into my eyes. 

"You're finally awake!" She cheered.

Tears pricked at the corner of my eyes. "Himari..? Why are you-"

She put a finger to my lips and smiled. "I know what you're thinking. It's ok, you did what you had to do." 

Tears poured from my eyes as I sobbed bitterly into my sister's pink kimono. "Stop crying and let's say 'hi' to mom and dad!" 

"What?" I asked, taking a shaky breath.

Himari pointed behind me and when I turned around, I almost burst into tears again. My mom and dad were standing in front of me, smiling with open arms. 

I got up and ran to them. I realized that my wounds from the hand demon were no longer marked on my body. No more blood, my arm was there, and I felt no pain.

I cried happy tears and hugged them tightly. 

"Well, I finally see you again. It feels like it's been forever." An all too familiar voice said behind me. 

Sabito! I thought excitedly.

I whirled around and hugged him tight, savouring his warm embrace. "Jeez, for a dead person, you sure hug tight!" I laughed at his remark.

"I missed you so much, you idiot!" I scolded him. 

I was about to keep scolding him, but he stopped me by pulling me into a kiss. A short kiss, but one full of warmth and love. I laughed again and hugged him tight. 

And I was sure that I would never lose him again.