He really did lov— Care about her, and moments like these where her personality from when he very first met her, the part of her he felt like she was slowly loosing the longer she was kept here, he realised how happy she genuinely made him.

As he threw his head back with a laugh, her eyes twinkled with mischief as she sent him a wink, before leaving the training room and leaving Steve to finish tidying up all of the stuff on his own.

Bitch.

April 29th 2017
Bruce Banners Laboratory

"I dunno why we can't just leave this thing alone, and it to be forever a mystery to why I can shoot bonfires out of my fingertips."

"Not a fan of mysteries." Bruce replied, messing about with test tubes or some shit, in all honesty Ember had no fucking clue what he was doing. She had only agreed to more tests because Bruce said he'd give her chocolate if she let him try and work out where her powers came from.

"I am, though." She said, taking a bite out of the chocolate bar she had been handed as soon as she had entered the room, "I've liked the mystery so far."

"But wouldn't you like to know how? Or why you are what you are?"

"My life is like a giant game of cluedo. Let's leave it that way."

"You're supposed to finish cluedo, and figure out the mystery. I'm playing a game of cluedo with your body, using the scientific clues to try and figure out the end result."

"Well when you put it thaaaat way." She shrugged with her mouth full of chocolate, "Make my life a game of monopoly now, but the money is chocolate bars."

"I hate monopoly."

"But you love chocolate?"

"Everyone likes chocolate." Bruce nodded.

Ember broke off a piece of the end of her chocolate and threw it towards him, which he somehow managed to catch in his mouth. She had no idea how he done it, she figured being an Avenger meant you could do cool shit like that. If doing cool shit like that came with an Avenger, she'd become one.

Although she had tried, and tried to avoid it.

She couldn't make her fucking mind up.

But then again, neither could Tony.

Tony originally brought her in because she had been a good asset to the team, but as time passed, and the more time he actually spent with Ember, the more he began to care for her. He knew it was totally unprofessional, but he began to care for Ember like he was his own kid. And now the thought of Ember joining the Avengers, risking her life when she didn't have to, that scared the shit out of him that he could loose her.

And Steve— Steve didn't know what he wanted when it came to the possibility of Ember joining the team. He wanted her to be happy, of course he did. And he knew that keeping Ember in the compound was not making her happy. But if Ember wanted to join the Avengers, if that's what she genuinely wanted, Steve would accept the decision because it was her decision to make, he told himself right from the beginning that no matter what decade he was born in, he was never going to be one of those old fashioned boyfriends who told their partner what to all of the time and tried to control every aspect of their lives. That just wasn't Steve.

If joining the Avengers was what Ember needed, he'd respect that, despite the fact he'd rather she didn't, purely due to the fact he didn't want her to, because he didn't want to loose her.

But this wasn't about Steve, and it never had been.

"Every time I think I've hit somewhere with trying to work out the source of your power, I eventually hit a dead end. I've worked with quite a few enhanced beings at this point, but never anyone quite like you. And as much as I'd love to say it's your personality, your genetics are just incredible."