Track 30 | 𝗙𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗡𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗗𝗶𝗲

Start from the beginning

I stared up at the night sky, noticing the full moon breaching through the stars. Bringing out the true coyote in me, I took a deep breath and howled loudly into the night, the sound of my wolf cry echoing off the walls of neighboring buildings and homes.

"Jesus," Ari blurted out, startled by my action. "What is it with you and howling?"

"I'm a coyote, it's in my blood," I humored him, pedaling a little closer to Ari in the street. "Do it, it's nice."

"I can't howl," Ari dismissed, looking away from me and rejecting my proposal.

"Yes, you can, you're a dog."

"Sorry, I mean, I don't want to."

"Oh, come on, you'll like it."

Ari gave me a side-glance, glaring at me out of the corner of his eyes. He shook his head and sighed before taking a deep breath like I did, shutting his eyes and lifting his face to the sky. He then began to howl, loudly and fluently, though it was a little weaker and more high-pitched than mine.

As the echo of his howl disappeared and traveled light years away from us, Ari and I stared at one another, enamored by the affectionate warmth of the moment. There weren't any cars on the road or people around; it was just us, so the mood was that much more intimate.

"Wow," I spoke, catching Ari's attention. "That was adorable."

"Shut the fuck up!" Ari grunted, reaching into his pocket and retrieving the pencil from earlier to chuck it at my face. I tried deflecting it with my paw but missed as it smacked against my elbow. I laughed uncontrollably as Ari rose to his feet, pedaling away faster out of embarrassment. I lifted my bottom from the seat just like he did and chased after him.

Soon, we ended up on the sidewalk outside of my house and the two of us hopped off of our bikes. I chained mine to the fence as Ari left his on the ground. 

I walked up to the front doors of my familiar brownstone, standing still on the front porch steps. What a relief it was to be back home, but I was also upset that my time with Ari today was coming to an end. I loved being around him, no matter the state of our relationship.

"This is me, I guess," I muttered, turning around and facing Ari, who was leaning against the fence.

"Yes, this is you," Ari teased, biting his bottom lip. I always loved it when he did that. Any kind of facial expression from him was hypnotizing, with his bright, bewitching eyes and his perfectly shaped face. He couldn't be more perfect. How in the hell did he end up with a loser like me?

I chuckled softly, staring at the floor. Ari noticed my disappointment in our parting and stepped forward, standing on the first step below me. I stared into his beaming eyes as he looked up at me, a warm, comforting tint to his expression.

"I'll... see you tomorrow?" Ari was practically roping me in, gently touching his paw to my left arm, slowly moving it up my sleeve.

"I-I had fun today," I stammered, weakened and nervous before him. "Last night, too. Or, well, this morning, really. I... I like being around you."

"I... like being around you, too," Ari jokingly mocked, his cheeky smile growing wider. I giggled out of embarrassment, my face burning redder than ever before.

Ari's teeth disappeared as he touched his lips together, his eyes slowly making their way down to my mouth. He stared at my lips with a craving; the same craving we both shared during last night's passionate kiss. I stared at Ari's lips the same way, pursing mine and swiftly licking them to make sure they weren't dry.

Was it finally that time again? This would be our first kiss since last night; our first kiss to seal the deal that we were—in whatever significance—romantically involved.