𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟔

you would never be like them, would you? those who came before you, and those who stood beside you

you would never be like them, would you? those who came before you, and those who stood beside you. it scared you, a little, that only was a sign of weakness to you. you feared something so miniscule, something that was only a mere thought of your own. 

someone who fought countless wars, battles that seemed endless. 

even the best of us are affected by things such as these. 

and so you feared you would never be more than what you might be. 

your name was not one worthy of appearing in grand tales or the textbooks of history. they would mention you once, maybe twice as the greatest judge of time, and end it there. 

you wanted to get used to the idea of it, a character in the background, watching over and cheering on. 

you would never be like the raiden shogun of inazuma, who seemed to have every little string in hand. nothing seemed to escape her. 
never would you be like morax, whose importance ranked so high that even the coins used in daily trade were named after him.
or like the tsaritsa, who had more foolish courage than you did to challenge the divine.

perhaps not being that grand of a person was comforting, it meant one burden less. it seemed that after the archon war each of you faded more and more into the background.  
you thought of it a little longer, feeling your thoughts being swept away by a river. you were good in what you were meant to do, and fontaine was doing well. better. that was all you wanted and needed.

as of this moment, then.

the rest could be figured out later. 

some say time is of the essence, everything can be bought except time. 
but it was something you owned too much off, far too much. it was something easily spent.

others left so easily due to their lack of time. never for you, or for your former companions, to follow them. 

you divert your attention back towards the loose leaves of paper on your bureau’s surface. piles and piles of things that had no relevance or information that could be of use in the hands of someone else. you filed them away neatly between tabs in drawers or files. nicely hidden away from sight.