4// sweater weather

Start from the beginning

My mouth dropped and the hopes of ever landing on her good side vanished like powder. "No. You're not serious, are you?"

"Dead serious," a smile appeared on her face, her eyes flickered to me, "it was priceless."

"I puked on her?"

"Indeed."

"I puked on her," it dawned on me. "Fuck."

Dread and lost chances showered over me. "Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I'm such a idiot." I shielded my face in my hands and tried to clear my mind, but it felt as if my thoughts were borderline chaotic.

"A little," Jessie's shoulders rose. "But then again, when aren't you an idiot? You broke her heart, left, vomited all over the outfit she likes and slept on her couch."

Bits and pieces of talking to her came back to me. It was hazy, but vomiting over her was the most vivid memory yet. This was just wonderful, after four years of trying to think of ways to talk to her if I ever saw her again; I ended up drunkenly talking to her and puking on her.

"What do I do?"

"Hope that the next time she sees you, she doesn't punch you. Her instructions were," she used a spot-on Canadian accent, "he wakes up, and gets out. Okay, Jessie?"

I snorted, "Great. I'm fucked, aren't I?"

"Not by her," the ends of her lips pulled. "That won't happen."

"Why'd she take care of me, though?"

She crinkled her nose, "because she's a good person with a good heart. Even if you're her worst enemy, she took care of you."

The channel changed again, back to the Sherlock episode Adrian had recorded. The thought of him made me pat down my pockets, take my phone and call him.

He answered on the third ring, or rather she did. A girly voice said: "Hello? Who is this?"

"Shouldn't be asking you the same thing, considering I called my friend? Is he with you, by any chance?"

"Uh, wait."

Thirty seconds later: "Nico. My head hurts."

"Adrian. So does mine, stop complaining. Are you at home?"

"Nah. I'm at, um-Sarah's."

A voice added: "It's Sofia."

"Right. Sorry."

"You safe?" I asked him.

This was far from the first time a situation like this had occurred. When Adrian had too much to drink and disappeared, I usually called in the morning to check on him. He was reckless when drunk.

"Yeah. You?"

"I'm...alive. At Zoey's place."

There was an unnecessarily dramatic gasp, "shit. That's not good. Is her friend there too?"

And since Adrian was known for being loud on the phone (and generally), Jessie had heard. She licked her lips and flickered her gaze away from me.

"Yeah. Want to say hi?"

"Nicolas, you want me to start making a move on her through the phone? Do you not know me at all?"

Jessie blushed.

"My bad."

"Look, mate, I've got to go. Sarah is going to shower and you know what I say-"

"Save water, shower with another human," I completed. "See ya."