Chapter Two

"We're here." I heard a voice whisper in my ear. I opened my eyes and saw Marius staring back at me. It sent a shiver down my spine and I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. He wrapped an arm around my waist and led me out of the carriage. What stood before me was a large castle, but to call it large was an understatement. It was even larger then the castle the old man brought me to earlier. It was made of brown stone and had many towers all around it. At the door stood two men who looked like soldiers. They nodded at us as we walked past.

"Is this your house?" I asked, taking in my surroundings.

"Obviously." He said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"How are you, Master Marius and Miss?" Two short and plump maids curtsied in front of us. "May we take your coat?"

Marius took his coat off and handed it to them. They ran off down the hall before I could give them my name.

"Well, ugh, are you hungry?" Marius asked me, biting his lip.

"No, I'm still full from breakfast."

"You peasants don't eat much, huh?"

"Don't call me a peasant! And don't joke about that, half the people in the village are starving, no thanks to any of you nobles!" I snapped angrily. Nobles were so stuck up and they didn't care about us, neither did the Priests or the people in the Church. They just wanted more taxes and indulgences.

"Who do you think you are talking to me like that?"

I held my tongue since I knew arguing was never good, especially in times like these. He glared at me then started to walk off.

"Where are you going?" I asked, holding up my dress and walking after him.

"To get a drink."

"May I join you?"

"If you want."

We walked through the large entrance hall and down a staircase that had a red velvet rug cascading down it. We walked through a short hallway and entered a large dining hall. The table was set with the finest silver I had ever seen. Windows lined the walls and let the pale moonlight shine in from outside. I continued following him past the table and through a door near the back. We entered what I was guessing was a separate eating room. It had one small table with four chairs around it sitting next to a window which overlooked a dense forest. The table had two candles lit on it, which was enough to light the entire room. Marius pulled out a chair for me and I sat down, thanking him. He sat down across from me and not long after a servant came and asked us what we would like.

"I'd like a glass of blood and Giselle would like some strawberry juice." Marius ordered, leaning back in his chair with his legs crossed. I started to ask why he would want blood but quickly remembered what he was. He might look like some sort of god, but in reality he was an evil and cruel creature. Vampires didn't care about anyone other then themselves.

"Why are you so quiet all of a sudden?" he asked as the servant brought us our drinks.

"Thank you, sir, and I'm not being quiet, I'm just thinking." I took my drink and held it to my lips.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Why I'm here and why my parents are dead!" I snapped.

"Your parents are dead, because we had a deal! You were supposed to be mine on the day of your sixteenth birthday. Your parents just kept making excuses, a year later and you were still at home." He hissed, leaning forward in his chair.

"What do you mean I was supposed to be your's?"

"Your parents and I made an agreement before you were born that you would be mine on your sixteenth birthday if I kept them protected from other night terrors."