"Yeah, they are pretty great. I love working with them too. But sometimes things get hard, ya know? Like with everything that's going on in the world, and you know we both haven't had the easiest of lives, with our dad's passing and I've never really fit in at school. I've had some pretty dark moments. And I wouldn't say I'm ashamed of them, but I've never really talked to anyone about it before. But just like you love photography, I love art, that's my outlet."

Her voice got quieter the more she spoke as if she was whispering secrets to me, secrets that she was afraid would escape into the world if spoke too loudly. I knew where she was coming from and could relate as there were many things my dad couldn't be here for because of his accident, like Bindi's wedding and the birth of baby Grace. And it's always been hard when we're unable to save an animal.

"I understand love," I said, reassuring her that she wasn't alone, "and you don't have to go through any of that alone anymore. As for kids in school, you're out of there now, and doing much better things than any of them are, you're helping save the world!" I chuckled, which made her laugh as well.

"That is true."

"Plus, you can always talk to me. I know you have before and that's great, I'm glad you're comfortable enough to talk to me about anything, and you should be. It's no judgment zone, all the time. I care for you, truly. And I'm always gonna be here for you, I promise."

Ashley has talked to me about things before, and I've always been there to hear her out and comfort her if she needs it. I'm glad she knows I'm here for her, she needs to know that.

"I know Robert, thank you. I appreciate that so much, really. And I'm here for you too, always," she let out a small yawn.

"We're gonna have such a good time tomorrow, just wait. It's a beautiful little hike up to the waterfall, but nothing too bad, I'm sure you can handle it with your leg but we can stop and rest as often as you need to. And then the waterfall is beautiful, and there is a nice little pool to swim in. The weather is supposed to be nice, and not too hot."

Ashley was silent.

"Love?"

No answer.

"Well, you must've fallen asleep. Goodnight love, sweet dreams," I said and hung up the phone.

I lay awake for a bit, staring at the ceiling, thinking of Ashley. She was beautiful, so amazing, yet so completely unaware. I thought back to a couple of years ago when some other kids from Ashley's school were harassing her and bullying her at the zoo. I happened to see what was going on and had to tell them to leave her alone. Mum always home-schooled me, so thankfully I didn't have to deal with anything like that. I'm sure if I went to public school I would have. But I'm glad I was able to be there for her.

Eventually, I fell asleep. I woke up around 9 since I didn't have to go out to the zoo today as mum knew I had the day planned with Ashley. I texted her a quick good morning text.

Me: Good morning beautiful, I can't wait to see you today :)

I threw on a pair of swim trunks and a plain grey t-shirt. As I was combing my hair, Ashley texted me back.

Ash: Good morning Tarzan :) I'm excited about our adventure today

Me: Me too, I'm getting ready now. Oh, don't forget a towel!

Ash: I won't!

I finished getting ready and went downstairs to find mum packing my and Ashley's lunch. Bindi was sitting at the table drinking a cup of tea with Grace in her lap.

"Good morning!" Mum said.

"Good morning mum! And Bindi and Grace," I replied.

"So, where did you decide to take Ashley for her birthday?" Bindi asked.