LXXI. A Tragic Almost-Love Story.

Start from the beginning

We then started to sway along with the music. I was fully aware that there were thousands of eyes was focused on us.

Rowan: You look more prettier tonight.

I was taken aback. We don't usually talk this casually at each other. We don't see each other much since we're both busy.

I smiled at him.

Me: Thanks.

Rowan: Your hands are cold.

Me: Yeah. Recent events made me feel chilly.

Rowan then stopped dancing, let go of me and took off his jacket he the went behind me and said.

Rowan: Wear this, we don't want you to get sick. That'll add more to your chilly recent events.

I smiled at him and nodded. He helped me put the jacket on. The people around us reacted that It made me feel so embarrassed. We then proceeded to dance.

Me: Thanks.

Rowan: Sorry didn't mean to embarrass you.

Me: I'm good. I'm sorry to have you involved with this.

Rowan: Why are you saying sorry? I did that cause I care.

Me: I wonder What PDnim did to convince you to do this.

Rowan: him, convince me to dance with you?

I just nodded. Trying to focus on him and trying not to mind my peripheral vision.

Rowan: No, you got it wrong. It's actually embarrassing. I... I've been asking him if I could meet you ever since the inauguration. So it's more like I convinced him.

Wait. So PDnim didn't forced him or asked him to approach and dance with me?

Me: So PDnim...

Rowan: He just simply said It's your night kid, go save her. I actually don't understand what he meant by that. But my mind was just overwhelmed with him allowing me to meet you.

Me: Yeah, that's a weird thing to say.

I allowed myself to look at PDnim who was now talking to someone. My eyes caught my Grandpa who seemed looking amused while watching us.

Disgust crept through me so I looked away. I wish I didn't, for my eyes found her. To my horror she was watching us. She's just there standing while staring at me so I immediately looked at Rowan avoiding her eyes. Good thing Sana and Jihyo was with her.

It was awkward enough just to dance with him so I started to ask so we could talk about something.

Me: Are you staying here for good?

Rowan: Honestly, Mom wanted me here even offered me to manage our business here. I always say no. But I think this time, I'll stay.

He said that looking straight at me. Something about him that he could make you listen to him. The way he talks you could instantly feel he's trustworthy.

Does he mean she'll stay because of me? Don't get ahead of yourself Mina. He does like you but that doesn't mean he'll stay for you.

Me: Maybe because she misses you too much that she wants you to stay here for good.

Rowan: Yeah I think so too. She'll be happy then.

Me: Why?

Rowan: Cause I found a reason to stay.

His gaze was so intense that I feel my cheeks slowly getting warmer.

The music ended and the crowd cheered for us. I then saw my girls walking towards the backstage. Manager unnie gestured for me to follow.

Me: I gotta go backstage. We'll be performing later.

I took off his jacket and handed it to him.

Rowan: Let me walk you there.

Me: No, That's okay.

Rowan: No, I insist.

I sighed and just let him.

We went backstage then. The girls greeted Rowan as soon as they noticed us.

As soon as Rowan went back to the ball, Jihyo went to me and nudge me with her arm. She went closer and whispered.

Jihyo: Can you please tell me what's happening? And don't say nothing. I'm no fool.

Me: I'll tell you later. Where's Sana?

Sana: I heard my name, why?

Me: You invited Chaeng?

Sana: Sort of, why?

Jihyo: You better tell us later. You need to explain it to her too.

And what? Hurt her again? Which is inevitable. All she seems to get from me was pain. But I were so close, ready to fight for what I felt for her not until tonight with the turn of events that ruined everything. I felt a hard nudge on my side

Jihyo: Mina!

Me: Ouch, why did you do that?

Jihyo: for a moment there You went out of this world. I can sense you have a lot on your mind. Whatever that is, don't face it alone. We're here just like how sisters are.

I really want to tell her, them. But a part of me doesn't until I have found a solution. I don't want to inflict unto them this dillema.

I feel like drowning in my own misery. I can't help but wonder if when I'll be able to be happy and to make my love one happy too.

After our performance we went straight backstage. There she was standing at the foot of the stairs. I let the others go down first.

As soon as our eyes met, I saw the sadness in her eyes. The look of someone who lost in a game. I must've looked the same earlier too.

I went past her hoping she won't follow. She hold onto my arm.

Chaeng: We need to talk.

Me: I'd rather not.

Chaeng: Tsk. Really? What's this? you're playing that game again huh. The same old game you did 2 years ago.

I let go of my arm and started to walk.

Me: Just let me be.

Chaeng: Mina.

I stopped. Something about her tone made me stop. I turned and look at her. I was startled for I didn't realize she was close to me that I almost hit her when I turned.

She took hold of my arms to keep my balance. She just stared at me which I also did. I was trying hard not to cry for I can see she's hurting through her eyes.

She bow her head for a while and took a deep breath. Her eyes changed when she looked at me.

Chaeng: I know there's something more to this, to what you're doing. I don't know what it is and I don't care anymore. This was my last straw. At least I gave everything I could. Take care of yourself.

She forced a smile, turned around and left.

It's hard to watch as she walk away from me. I want to run to her, hug her from behind and say "don't leave me". But I know I can't.

Is this how it would be? The end of a tragic almost-love story.