You knew which day it was today, didn't you?

Start from the beginning

„Well, they didn't have any ‚Evil Seal' in that show, unfortunately... How about you? What's your favorite animal?"

„Of those we've seen today?"

„Yeah, or, in general."

He thought about it for a bit. „Hmh... I really liked the penguins. And the otters! You remind me a bit of the otters, actually."

„Why is that?", she chuckled.

„I don't know, because you're cute, and you have those cute dark eyes and your hair is all messy when you wake up in the morning. And you're just as bubbly as them, but chill at the same time, just floating on the water without a worry in the world."

„Awww, that's a cute comparison! Yeah, maybe... I think I can see that! You remind me of the penguins, actually."

He raised his eyebrows in curiosity. „Really?"

„Yeah! You're majestic, but also a bit clumsy at times, and your muscles make you look quite bulky, but you're still incredibly nimble, like penguins in the water. And", she smiled, „I don't know, you're... warm, somehow. You keep me warm and shield me from the cold, if that makes sense, literally and metaphorically. And also, penguins are very loyal animals, they're monogamous, and they share parenting duties much more than animals usually do, and... I mean, you don't have children, so of course I can't say for sure, but the way I know you, you must be an amazing, caring and devoted father. One day..."

He looked at her, his smile slowly turning into a more serious look. Each time the topic of children came up somehow, whether they were watching something on TV, or sometimes even just seeing playing children run by, there was a strange tension between them for a moment or two. And he wasn't quite sure what she had just meant by her comment. That she wanted him to be the father of her child or children? That she didn't believe they'd stay together and he'd eventually have a family with someone else? Or something completely different? They hadn't talked about it anymore since their conversation in Hawaii, he'd never dared to bring it up again and so was even more surprised that she did. For him it was still crystal clear, even though their relationship was still so fresh and it was probably crazy and naive to even imagine: having a child with her would be a dream come true!

„Uhm... yeah, maybe. One day", he wasn't quite sure how to respond, „I mean, if I ever have children, that is, I don't need..."

„I know", she interrupted him and waved it off, „It's okay, I'm sorry, I brought it up. You want an ice cream?"

***

As it turned out, the aquarium was not the only thing he had planned for them today. They drove back north towards the city center for a good 40 minutes, she became quieter and quieter, and when he had parked the car on the parking lot in front of the Dodgers stadium, he saw that she had buried her face in her hands, she was crying. His heart stopped for a moment, he really hadn't expected such a strong reaction.

„Oh God, baby, what's wrong? Come here!", he pulled her into his arms, gently stroked her hair and rocked her back and forth, „Shhh, please... don't cry! Please. I'm sorry, Lana, I'm so sorry! I didn't want to..."

„You knew it, didn't you? All along?", she gasped under violent sobs and looked at him with swollen eyes, „You knew it was my father's birthday today?"

He bit his bottom lip and nodded. „Of course I knew, baby... I'm your boyfriend. I'm so sorry, I didn't think it would..."

„It's okay", she interrupted him again, „It's perfect, actually... thank you!"

A load fell off his shoulders and he sighed in relief. „I was texting with your mother. She told me about the things your father would often do with you. Make you waffles... go to the aquarium, or to watch a baseball game."