2. Princess Feng Ning

"It's a girl! Your Highness, it's a girl."

Feng Ning was stumped by the sudden words that her cry lessened. Even though she was sure that she should have died, how in the world did they even say that it was a girl as if she had just been born.

You got to be kidding me, right?

Opening her eyes, Feng Ning was stumped when she saw the beautiful decoration within the room. At the same time, the layout of the bed along with their clothes.... How was it the modern world?

There was no lamp, no proper ceiling, their clothes were more like robe and it didn't smell like hospital at all.

It was surely the ancient world, right?

Incense stick at the side, the wooden decoration in the room, the hanfu* style clothing, along with the ancient looking bed. As for the woman on the bed, she was wearing loose robe and her hair stuck onto her face. Beads of sweat had formed because she took a long time to deliver the baby. Yet, the messy appearance didn't erase her elegance in the slightest bit.

"A girl again?" the cold voice coming from the woman caused Feng Ning to startle.

It was then she recalled the way the servants called the woman in front of her.

'Your Highness.'

No wonder that there were a lot of people around her and that she was displeased upon knowing her gender. For those in the Imperial Family, what they wanted the most was a boy so that they could clinch onto the throne.

So, was her father a prince or the Emperor?

While Feng Ning let her mind roamed, the woman had dressed herself carefully. She was tired after giving birth, but she didn't let it affect her that much as her gaze was very cold. It didn't look like the gaze of a mother to her daughter.

She looked at the baby on the maid's arm with the urge to strangle her. How come her luck was so bad that she gave birth to two girls in a row.

Hadn't she worked hard enough with her husband to be able to get children?

"Your Highness, Master is here."

"Call him here."

"Yes."

A man strode inside. He had regal aura and his eyebrows were sharp. However, the disappointment on his face when he saw the young baby was undeniable. He looked at his wife. "Ya'er."

"You're so useless." The woman, Lin Xie Ya looked at her husband in annoyance.

"We can try again, alright?" The man coaxed his wife.

Lin Xie Ya snorted and looked at the baby. She lost interest as she already had one daughter before this. Waving her hand, she ordered the servant, "Send her to the Peony Courtyard. Let her stay there."

"But Your Highness..."

"Do as I say." Lin Xie Ya's tone was cold.

"Yes."

The servants scurried away while carrying the tired baby. After crying so much, it was undeniable that Feng Ning was so tired that she could barely open her eyes. However, she still could hear the servants talked as they carried her away.

"To think that Her Highness would send the princess away so soon."

"Her Highness longs to have a son so that she could get back at her brother for marrying her away. Master might be the Prime Minister, but his position is not good enough for Her Highness," the servant sighed.

The servant looked at the young baby and sighed. "Poor princess. To be born in this family, it was her bad luck."

"It's better for her to be here. Haven't you hear that..."