Chapter 10. Apple Slices

Start from the beginning

Y/N smiles and snaps her fingers at her playfully, "You got it, boss." Elizabeth giggles and turns back around to watch the cartoon. "Evan? Are apple slices alright with you? We've got other stuff too." Y/N calls to him while she grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl, running it under the sink to wash it off.

"N-No, apples are alright." He mumbles, if you weren't listening close enough you wouldn't even hear him. Y/N however, was used to his quiet voice, and heard him just fine. "Alrighty then." She begins cutting the apple into slices.

She sets them on a plate and carries it the short distance to the living room, setting it on the coffee table in front of them. "Whatcha guys watching?" She sits next to the spot beside Evan and leans her elbows on her knees, slouching forward.

"SpongeBob!" Elizabeth answers, an apple slice already up to her mouth. Y/N nodded and turns her head to the show, "Ah, I remember good ol' SpongeBob." She smiles, "I watched it when I was a kid too."

"Really?" Evan turns to looks at Y/N, his head tilted slightly. Y/N chuckles at his innocent reaction and ruffles his hair gently. "Yeah back in the prehistoric days when I was a kid, everybody watched SpongeBob."

"Hey! You're not old Y/N!" Elizabeth giggles, "You're only as old as bubby!"
Y/N leans back against the couch as she laughed, "I am aren't I? Well, I guess that's true." She sighs happily.

///

It was 3:30, Y/N and the kids were still in the living room, coloring in some coloring books. She had a variety of different coloring books scattered across the floor, some were Paw Patrol, some were Disney Princesses. A knock at the door makes Y/N furrow her eyebrows, she checks the time on her phone, "Is it time for Michael to get you guys already?" She gets up from her spot on the couch and opens the door.

She was met Michael, his hands were shoved in his pockets. Y/N steps aside to allow him in. "Hey Michael, what's up?"
He looks at her blankly, "I'm not coming in, I just need to pick up the twerps."
Elizabeth whines and waddles her way over to the front door once she hears him, "Bubby, can we please stay a little longer? I'm finishing up a picture! We're coloring!" She clings to Y/N's leg in protest.

"No Elizabeth, I got plans with the guys later. Get your ass back home, you too Evan." He points to Evan, who was still sat coloring quietly.

Y/N pats Elizabeth's head, "Oh Michael, just come inside for a moment. They won't be much longer."
Michael shoots her a small glare, but steps inside reluctantly. Elizabeth cheers and runs back over to her coloring book continuing to color her picture, "Thank you, bubby!" She calls towards him.

Michael mutters something under his breath that Y/N couldn't make out, but it was something about the 'twerps' or more lovingly known as his siblings.

"Do you want anything to eat? We've got apple slices." Y/N smiles, trying to make conversation. Michael, who wasn't even looking at her, was quick with a snappy response. "What are you, some kind of homeless shelter? You think I don't got food at home?"

Y/N shakes her head, "No, not at all. I was just offering. We have plenty of apples, and I was going to cut myself an apple anyway."
Michael makes a low hum from the back of his throat that sounded like a mix of a growl and a grunt.

Y/N was already washing off another apple, and cutting it, putting her slices on a plate. She sits on the kitchen counter and kicks her feet gently. She was choosing to ignore Michaels attitude. It's what she did every time he was rude to her.

"How've you been, Michael?" She says between bites of the fruit.
"Don't talk with your mouth full that's disgusting." His accent was shining through every word he spoke.

Y/N lets out a small breath to keep herself calm, and makes sure to not have any food in her mouth. "I asked you a question, Michael. There's no need to be a jerk." She replies in a matter-of-fact tone.
He snaps his head towards her and crossed his arms, leaning on the counter across from her. He didn't expect her to talk back. "...I've been fine." He finally spat, his tone was chillingly blunt.

"That's good, how are your friends? Have you seen them recently?" She takes another bite of her fruit, seemingly gone back to normal. This confused Michael greatly.
"...They're fine. And yeah." He loosens up a bit, dropping some of his harsh tone and looking at the ground.

"Cool, tell them I said hi." She gives him a small smile, "You want an apple slice? I won't pressure you if you don't want any."
He raised an eyebrow and stammers a bit, which was unusual for Michael. He was always quick with his words, and could deliver them in a blink of an eye. For some reason, his mouth couldn't synchronize with his brain.

"Uh, I mean- sure?" He looks away and gnaws on his lip. Y/N simply hands him a slice of the apple, not thinking anything of his change in tone. "If you want anymore I'll share, I've got plenty."

He stares at the slice of fruit before cautiously putting it up to his lips, and taking a small bite. "Thanks." He murmured, his cheeks glowing red from embarrassment.
She chuckles quietly, "Wow, Michael Afton says thank you? Somebody call the press, this is big news."

Michael widens his eyes, "Hey, shut up! You complain when I'm an asshole to you, but then you make fun of me when I'm nice? Make up your mind, woman!" He crossed his arms once again.

"Calm down, I'm just joking." She smiles and hands him another apple slice, "You know, maybe if you'd just be nice to me you wouldn't have to be so defensive."

He huffs and and rolls his eyes, "Shut up." Y/N narrows her eyes slightly, her smile drops. "Alright then." Is all she replied before setting her empty plate of apples by the sink, and hopped off the counter; ending their conversation.

Y/N didn't understand why he was so defensive. He didn't need to put on a tough guy attitude around her, she's known him for approximately 2 weeks now. They have very rare moments when he drops the attitude and has a civil conversation with her, others times they end up like this. It made no sense, but when have teenagers ever made sense? She knew she had to accept his temper as a part of him, and if she wants to understand him she needs to know where this temper is coming from. Is it just the way he acts, or is there more behind it.
Y/N felt like she was obligated to find out.