⚡️ Chapter 11 ⚡️

As they entered November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains around the school became icy grey and the lake like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows, defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch pitch, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit-fur gloves and enormous beaverskin boots.

Vega was having a hard time getting used to this much cold when she had to walk around the castle. The Gryffindor Common Room, the Great Hall and most of the classrooms were very warm, but the rest of the castle was often cold, especially Snape's classroom. But that wasn't the only thing to worry about.

The Quidditch season had begun. On Saturday, both Vega and Harry would be playing in their first match after weeks of training: Gryffindor versus Slytherin.

If Gryffindor won, they would move up into second place in the House Championship. Hardly anyone had seen Vega or Harry play because Wood had decided that, as their secret weapon, Vega and Harry should be kept, well, secret.

But the news that Harry was playing the Seeker and Vega was playing Chaser had leaked out somehow, and all of a sudden, most of the Gryffindors were assuring them that they'd be brilliant but many other people kept telling them they'd be running around underneath them, holding a mattress.

It was still clear that most of the Hogwarts was unsure of what to make of Vega, but the Slytherins didn't care for that. They seemed to have more confidence as their Death Eater parents were free while her Death Eater parents were in Azkaban. They could bully her around.

Positively, Vega was happy to have a female friend around in Hermione. It was nice to be able to sit with a girl and have her understand her problems properly. But Vega wasn't the only one who was having an easy time with a new friend – Harry received a lot of help when Hermione lent him 'Quidditch Through the Ages'.

Hermione had become a bit more relaxed about breaking rules since Vega, Harry and Ron had saved her from the mountain troll and she was much nicer for it.

The day before Vega and Harry's first Quidditch match the four of them were out in the freezing courtyard during break, and Vega had shared her secret of staying warm by conjuring the Bluebell fire in a larger jar for them all to share.

They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Snape crossed the yard, and Vega noticed at once that Snape was limping. Vega, Harry, Ron and Hermione moved closer together to block the fire from view; they were sure it wouldn't be allowed.

Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces caught Snape's eye. He limped over to where they were all standing. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell them off anyway. As he often did.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?" Snape demanded. It was Quidditch through the Ages. Harry showed him. "Library books are not to be taken outside the school. Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor,"

"He's just made that rule up," Harry muttered angrily as Snape limped away from them. Vega stared after him, wondering what was up with him. "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?"

"Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," Ron said bitterly.

"He's really strange, isn't he?" Vega asked as she looked away from him and down at the latest Transfiguration Today journal on her lap Ted had acquired for her.

That evening, the Gryffindor Common Room was very noisy. Vega, Harry, Ron and Hermione sat together next to one of the many windows. Hermione was checking Ron's Charm homework for him and Vega had inexplicably picked up Harry's.