Chapter 4

After a few weeks, everything went back to its normal condition, but only in part, because it was clear that now things wouldn't be like before.

Helga, the only daughter of the man who had passed to another world, knew that very well. From time to time she organized parties in places such as restaurants, bars and pubs, as well as in certain schools in Lisbon and some neighbouring cities. But in those days, due to the mourning, she wasn't doing any of that, so her fear to lose her living was getting stronger and stronger. This fear was also reinforced by the fact that she was going to turn fifty years old just after a few months. She wasn't ready for that goal, nor to change her soul again, a soul which was very sensitive and very easy to hurt.

She was still deep down in her thoughts, and it seemed like no crane would be able to get her out of them, when someone phoned her. At first, Helga didn't feel at all like answering the call or even looking who it was. But then she joined all her forces (she thought she didn't have many, but if she had looked inside of herself, she would have realized that it actually wasn't true) and read the name of the display (I should say as well that, unlike her German parents, Helga used a modern phone, although she didn't follow the trends and would only change her phone when the one she had been using stopped working, in which case she would pick one she liked). Unlike she had seemingly thought, it was no stranger. It was her elder daughter, Aline Gonçalves.

Aline talked about several things with her mother, but the most important one was this: she wanted to visit her and asked her when she could do it.

"I don't know now", Helga told her, "you know me, I always get something I hadn't thought about until the last moment, because there was no reason to think about it. If you want to visit me, you can come this weekend, I think that at least everything will be right".

"Should I bring you something?"

Helga thought for a few seconds and then replied:

"You know, I don't need anything, but you can bring me whatever you want".

"Okay, I will think of something to bring you".

And then kept talking for a few more minutes. These minutes seemed like hours, and at some point Aline told her mother:

"By the way, I nearly forgot. Yesterday I got a dog. Shall I show you a picture?"

"You got a dog? Where did you get it?"

"From a friend of mine. You don't know her".

"I hope that this dog of hers... I mean, of yours now... doesn't bite?"

"Mum, if I show you a picture, how can it bite?"

"Oh", Helga said, looking like a student who, after hundreds of explications, at last understood the exercise, "I'm sorry, Aline, sometimes I'm a little..."

"Forgetful?"

"Let's say so".

"And what news do you have? What are you going to tell me?"

Helga thought for a little and then said:

"You know, I don't have much to tell you. What you have to know, you know, while the rest... doesn't deserve to be spoken about".

She said that because she didn't want to harm her daughter.

"Okay, Mum, I'm sorry, I have to go now, I have many things to do today", Aline said. "So I'll see you this weekend".

"Yes, see you. I hope you're not bored", her mother said.

"No, I'm never bored", Aline answered and then ended the call.

After that, Helga went elsewhere for a while (something had been waiting for her for a few hours). When she came back to her room, she took her mobile and saw that her daughter had sent her a picture of the dog.

The woman thought this was one of the most beautiful dogs she had ever seen in her life. His ears, his tail and his fur made him rather gracious. And she wrote the following comment to Aline: "What a beautiful dog! If he was a man, and if I wasn't at home, I would rush now to print this picture, then I would hang it on the wall and look at it every day".

Of course, she was joking, and this had her feel that on that day, she could have been easier before. But this didn't change the fact that she liked the dog. In a few minutes, Aline's reply came:

"I'm very glad you like it. He has a rather sly face, don't you think so?"

Helga looked at the dog again. Yes, his face looked like one of a spy or a killer from a movie. Those people always make sure no one is watching them while they search for the victim.

She was still admiring the dog (or rather, his picture, which isn't exactly the same), when she heard the bell at the entrance. She went to open and saw Quim. She knew him very well, as he was married to her other daughter.

He had a box in his hand and he gave it to his mother-in-law, saying to her:

"Take this. I've been asked to give it to you".

Helga took the box, looked at it, read what was written on it and said:

"Thank you! I've been waiting for it for a rather long time. Do you want to stay? I can make you a cup of tea".

Quim made a thoughtful face and answered:

"You know, you're very kind, and I would as well stay, but I'm sorry. I have an appointment and I cannot be late again".

"Oh, well, then I hope you will ever come to visit me again. And thank you once more for the box".

"You're welcome", Quim replied just as politely. "As for visiting you again, of course I will. As soon as I can".

"Take your time", Helga told him, "and don't think of anything. If you start worrying while doing anything, you will end up getting nothing".

"Thank you", her son-in-law answered, "I will remember those words. On the other hand, I acknowledged many times that what you say is true".

"See?" she encouraged him. "So go where you have to go and don't think of anything. What has to come, will come in any case".

Quim wanted to tell her more, but he decided not to waste his time and left, after promising again to come back and visit her.

As for Helga, she also had an appointment, but it was going to be after four days, not on the same day. It was an appointment with her massage therapist. He phoned her.

He told her that the appointment was postponed to the next day, but she didn't have to fear anything. When she asked him why, he answered that a friend had invited him to his cousin's wedding and it would be a pity for him not to go. Helga wished him fun and luck. The therapist thanked her and wished her a good time in turn.

Whatever, Helga could say she was satisfied on that day. She hoped that the following day it would be the same.