Chapter 1

Well now it is time to start our adventure together.  Please Vote and comment to let me know what you think.

Chapter One

I awoke to the sound of a ringing phone.  After a small groan to the fact that I only went to bed three hours ago I reached over and answered.

"This is Lamont."

"Hey it’s Jerry.  Time to rock and roll Young Gun, we got ourselves a new one."

"Damn man, doesn’t anyone in this city sleep?"

"Hell no, this is New York we put that in our tourist brochures"

I cracked a smile.  I had only worked with Jerry for six month but the ease that he could crack a joke never failed to lift my spirits.  He was a guy who had seen too primetime cop shows and tried to personify the witty detective.  He could make the most horrific crime scene bearable.

"Alright text the address and I will leave right away."

I stood up from my bed and took a quick look around my room in my one bedroom apartment.  The bareness of it struck me as I realized that if I wanted to feel like I was home I was going to have work at it.  There was not a thing in here that made me feel connected to my new home.  I would have to think on it later though, for now it was time to work.

I took a quick shower and put on my clothes.  I put the address Jerry sent me into my GPS and drove to the newest crime scene.  Jerry was there before me looking ready to bring justice to the world once again.

"So what do we have?"

"Well good morning to you too Sunshine" Jerry replied with a grin on his face.  "Anyway, the husband called us three hours ago said he came home and found his wife shot dead in the living room.  Before you start in with the age old cliché of the husband did it, we already checked his alibi.  He has been in California for three days and his plane landed four hours ago, however she has been dead between twelve and fifteen hours.  We found a bag with a few items from the living room that had been dropped.  My guess is that she walked down stairs and scared a thief who shot her and then ran away."

I processed the information that Jerry gave me and asked "Have you talked to the neighbors to see if they saw anything?"

"Now if I went and did a thing like that what would that leave for my good buddy?"

With a nod I took out my note pad and proceeded to walk outside where the people already begun to gather outside the yellow tape.  I walked up to them and started to take names and statements.  After receiving 20 conflicting reports I put my note pad away and walked back toward the house.  The murdered woman was being rolled toward the coroner’s van inside a body bag when I met back up with Jerry.

"Well anything useful?" He asked with a smirk

"Yup, twenty people who all perfectly saw a completely different event."

"Sounds about right, but still better than twenty people who want to try and deny that they saw anything.  Now I don’t know about you but I am ready for some breakfast.  Care to stop for a bite then we can head to the station to put this new puzzle together."

I gave a nod as we both got into my car and drove away.  We pulled to a small café and left the car to walk inside.

"Before I forget," Jerry began "Lindsay made me promise that she and Jack would get to meet my new partner.  So tonight you are coming to my place for dinner or else I will be sleeping on the couch for a week."

Before I could answer I saw the reddish brown stain began to grow in the middle of Jerry’s shirt.  Less than a second later I saw two more appear as the hot coal burning of bullets ripped thru my body as well and we collapsed to the ground.

I felt myself floating away from myself as I could see everything happening.  People began to run away screaming as the sounds of gunfire that Jerry and I never heard reverberated in the streets.  Soon an ambulance came and quickly put us on gurneys.  I decided then and there that I was not going to die.  I was not going to let some loser decide when my life was over simply because he got his hands on a gun.  I was going to live and put him and everyone like him in jail or a body bag.  With a push I felt myself fall back down into my body and then everything went black.

I woke up in a hospital but was unable to move.  Right away I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Don’t try to move.  You have been shot seven times and have been in a coma for two weeks.  We have removed all the bullets and you will be just fine.  You might end up going thru some physical therapy but I don’t think any permanent damage has been done.  You were very lucky.  It is a actual miracle that you survived.  The amount of bullets in you should have killed you instantly"

I fell back asleep and soon I was woken again by the doctor.  I was worried about Jerry so I asked

"How is my partner?"

I realized how strange my voice sounded to my but decided that it was due to being asleep for two weeks.

"I am sorry but you are the only police officer that I have been working on for the past while.  I don’t know of any other officer that has been in here."

"Please can you find out?  I saw him get shot and I have to know what happened."

"Yes sir I will.  Let me go ask the head nurse and I will be right back."

I watched him leave and prayed that he would come back with good news.  Jerry has a wife and son that love him and he truly lives for them.  The thought of them growing up without a husband and father brought tears to my eyes.

The doctor came back into the room and I could tell by the look on his face that the news was not good.  I vow then and there that I would do anything I could to help Jerry’s family.  The doctor cleared his voice than began to give me the bad news.

"I am sorry detective Marsh.  Your partner, Detective Lamont, died at the scene."

_______________________________________________________________________

Please remember to comment and let me know what you think.  If you give me your honest thoughts then it can only get better