Chiron frowned. "The Hunters, eh? I see we have much to talk about." He glanced at Nico. "Grover, perhaps you should take our young friend to the den and show him our orientation film." 

"But... Oh, right. Yes, sir." 

"Orientation film?" Nico asked. "Is it G or PG? 'Cause Bianca is kinda strict—" 

"It's PG-13," Grover said. 

"Cool!" Nico happily followed him out of the room. 

"Now," Chiron said to Thalia, Grayson, and me, "perhaps you three should sit down and tell us the whole story." 

When we were done, Chiron turned to Mr. D. "We should launch a search for Annabeth and Y/n immediately." 

"I'll go," Thalia, Grayson, and I said at the same time. 

Mr. D sniffed. "Certainly not!" 

Thalia, Grayson, and I started complaining, but Mr. D held up his hand. He had that purplish angry fire in his eyes that usually meant something bad and godly was going to happen if we didn't shut up. 

"From what you have told me," Mr. D said, "we have broken even on this escapade. We have, ah, regrettably lost Annie Bell and Y/w/n—" 

"Annabeth and Y/n," I snapped. They'd gone to camp since they were seven, and still Mr. Dpretended not to know their names. 

"Yes, yes," he said. "And you procured a small annoying boy to replace her. So I see no point risking further half-bloods on a ridiculous rescue. The possibility is very great that this Annie and Y/w/n are dead." 

I wanted to strangle Mr. D. It wasn't fair Zeus had sent him here to dry out as camp director for a hundred years. It was meant to be a punishment for Mr. D's bad behavior on Olympus, but it ended up being a punishment for all of us. 

"Annabeth and Y/n may be alive," Chiron said, but I could tell he was having trouble sounding upbeat. He'd practically raised both of them all those years they were year-round campers before they'd left camp. "They're very bright. If... if our enemies have them, they will try to play for time. They may even pretend to cooperate." 

"That's right," Thalia said. "Luke would want them alive." 

"In which case," said Mr. D, "I'm afraid they will have to be smart enough to escape on their own." 

I got up from the table. 

"Percy." Chiron's tone was full of warning. In the back of my mind, I knew Mr. D was not somebody to mess with. Even if you were an impulsive ADHD kid like me, he wouldn't give you any slack. But I was so angry I didn't care. 

"You're glad to lose another camper," I said. "You'd like it if we all disappeared!" 

Mr. D stifled a yawn. "You have a point?" 

"Yeah," I growled. "Just because you were sent here as a punishment doesn't mean you have to be a lazy jerk! This is your civilization, too. Maybe you could try helping out a little!" 

For a second, there was no sound except the crackle of the fire. The light reflected in Mr. D's eyes, giving him a sinister look. He opened his mouth to say something—probably a curse that would blast me to smithereens—when Nico burst into the room, followed by Grover. 

"SO COOL!" Nico yelled, holding his hands out to Chiron. "You're... you're a centaur!" 

Chiron managed a nervous smile. "Yes, Mr. di Angelo, if you please. Though, I prefer to stay in human form in this wheelchair for, ah, first encounters."