❤︎Apple Carving With Epel❤︎

A/n: This is super cute don't speak to me

CW: Knives, self injury (from apple carving not self harm)

Oh god. Yuu was a bit nervous. Going back to the village of harvest with Epel for the spring holiday wasn't their idea, but it felt nice to be somewhere other than the school.

They were holding their luggage and Epel's, walking down the path to the front door. "Yuu, I really can hold my own bag."

"Well I'd like to. Plus, you have to unlock the door, right?"

"I suppose that's true." Epel fiddled with his bag, sticking his key into the door when they got to it. He swung the door open and they both were immediately ambushed by people. They had lots of questions, especially the little kids.
——
By the time Yuu and Epel could get away it was 4 pm. Epel pulled Yuu outside. "Epel, you-"

"Shhh!" He weaved through the apple orchard until he stopped in front of a large tree. "Epel, what are we-"

"Don't worry. I just think we could both use a break. You know?"

"Yeah.. I appreciate that actually." Yuu smiled, sliding their hands in their pockets now that they knew nothing bad was happening.

Epel watched them for a second before he cleared his throat. "Can you climb?"

"Oh gosh no."

"I'll be right back then." He turned and climbed the tree like it was second nature, picking a bunch of specific apples and dropping them into a basket below. When he had filled the basket he looked down to Yuu. "Catch!" And hopped down from the tree.

Yuu felt a bit panicked, but reached out and caught Epel either way.

Epel smiled and patted Yuu's shoulder before sliding out of their arms. "I figured I could try to teach you how to carve apples? Since you and Sebek were both interested in it. Teaching you here is easier." He sat down in the grass and pulled the basket over. Every apple was bruised or had a few holes in it.

"That's sweet of you Epel. I'd love to learn."

"Alright. Well, just copy what I do I guess. The knife is sharp."

Yuu nodded.

Epel began slicing away layers of the apple, sketching out a design with the tip of his knife. Yuu followed close behind, almost immediately slicing his finger. "Ouch-"

"Yuu, be careful. You'll get the hang of it."

Yuu nodded and moved slower, still slicing their fingertips every once in a while. "Why do I keep doing that-"

Epel just laughed a little. "That used to happen to me constantly. It's part of the learning process."

"If you say so..."
——
After about an hour there were 5 pairs of different apples carved. It was obvious who made each one, but Yuu was proud of their apples, despite the cuts and burning sensation in his hands.

Epel smiled. "You did great. Let me help you get cleaned up." He reached into his small pouch and took out a few alcohol wipes, cleaning up Yuu's hands.

"You're very prepared..."

"Well, I've gotta take care of my hands you know."

Yuu nodded, letting Epel wipe up what blood he could and put red bandaids all over their hands. They blushed a little. "Thank you."

"Of course." Epel put the apples in the basket and set it next to Yuu, climbing the tree again for a pretty red apple that almost shone in the setting sunlight. "Here." He hung from the branch with one hand and dropped to the ground, tossing the apple to Yuu. "Try it."

Yuu bit the apple, eyes lighting up. "Well that sure makes the bandaids worth it." They stood up, biting it again. "Thank you."

"For the apple? Sure. We've got acres of 'em."

"No, for bringing me with you. I know we're only close because of classes we share, unlike others at NRC, but I really didn't want to be alone this time. So thank you."

"Of course. I think you're cool, so it's no problem." Epel held the basket in one hand and pulled Yuu to their feet with the other.

"And the lesson. Thank you for the apple carving lesson." They held their fruit-free hand out, sticky with apple juice and scratched up. Bandaids clumsily covered the cuts.

"As long as you aren't in too much pain. I'll have my mother help with your cuts more later." Epel took the apple from Yuu and took a bite, tossing it. "Dinner's soon. I'll race you."

Without a confirmation he bolted off with the apple basket under his arm.

"Not fair!" Yuu yelled and chased after Epel.

"Too bad!" Epel turned around and back-peddled for a second before taking off.

He looked happy when he was where he wanted to be. It was a good look on him.

A/n: Hope you enjoyedddd don't forget to vote and leave comments and shtuff