"Go on, Percy," the goddess said. 

"Well, then Thorn was talking about the Great Stir Pot—" 

"Stirring," Bianca corrected. 

"Yeah. And he said, 'Soon we shall have the most important monster of all—the one that shall bring about the downfall of Olympus.'" 

The goddess was so still she could've been a statue. 

"Maybe he was lying," I said. 

Artemis shook her head. "No. He was not. I've been too slow to see the signs. I must hunt this monster." 

Zoë looked like she was trying very hard not to be afraid, but she nodded. "We will leave right away, my lady." 

"No, Zoë. I must do this alone." 

"But, Artemis—" 

"This task is too dangerous even for the Hunters. You know where I must start my search. You cannot go there with me." 

"As... as you wish, my lady." 

"I will find this creature," Artemis vowed. "And I shall bring it back to Olympus by winter solstice. It will be all the proof I need to convince the Council of the Gods of how much danger we are in." 

"You know what the monster is?" Grayson asked. 

Artemis gripped her bow. "Let us pray I am wrong." 

"Can goddesses pray?" I asked because I'd never really thought about that. 

A flicker of a smile played across Artemis's lips. "Before I go, Percy Jackson and Grayson Martin, I have a small task for you." 

"Does it involve getting turned into a jackalope?" asked Grayson.

"Sadly, no. I want you to escort the Hunters back to Camp Half-Blood. They can stay there in safety until I return." 

"What?" Zoë blurted out. "But, Artemis, we hate that place. The last time we stayed there—" 

"Yes, I know," Artemis said. "But I'm sure Dionysus will not hold a grudge just because of a little, ah, misunderstanding. It's your right to use Cabin Eight whenever you are in need. Besides, I hear they rebuilt the cabins you burned down." 

Zoë muttered something about foolish campers. 

"And now there is one last decision to make." Artemis turned to Bianca. "Have you made up your mind, my girl?" 

Bianca hesitated. "I'm still thinking about it." 

"Wait," I said. "Thinking about what?" 

"They... they've invited me to join the Hunt." 

"What? But you can't! You have to come to Camp Half-Blood so Chiron can train you. It's the only way you can learn to survive." 

"It is not the only way for a girl," Zoe said. 

I couldn't believe I was hearing this. 

"Bianca, camp is cool!" said Grayson. "It's got a pegasus stable and a sword-fighting arena and... I mean, what do you get by joining the Hunters?" 

"To begin with," Zoë said, "immortality." 

I stared at her, then at Artemis. "She's kidding, right?" 

"Zoë rarely kids about anything," Artemis said. "My Hunters follow me on my adventures. They are my maidservants, my companions, my sisters-in-arms. Once they swear loyalty to me, they are indeed immortal... unless they fall in battle, which is unlikely. Or break their oath." 

"What oath?" Grayson said. 

"To foreswear romantic love forever," Artemis said. "To never grow up, never get married. To be a maiden eternally." 

"Like you?" I asked. 

The goddess nodded. 

"Did Y/n make that oath?"

Artemis frowned.

"That is none of your business," spat Zoë.

I tried to imagine what Artemis was saying. Being immortal. Hanging out with only middle-school girls forever. I couldn't get my mind around it. "So you just go around the country recruiting half-bloods—" 

"Not just half-bloods," Zoë interrupted. "Lady Artemis does not discriminate by birth. All who honor the goddess may join. Half-bloods, nymphs, mortals—" 

"Which are you, then?" 

Anger flashed in Zoë's eyes. "That is not thy concern, boy. The point is Bianca may join if she wishes. It is her choice." 

"Bianca, this is crazy," Grayson said. "What about your brother? Nico can't be a Hunter." 

"Certainly not," Artemis agreed. "He will go to camp. Unfortunately, that's the best boys can do." 

"Hey!" I protested. 

"You can see him from time to time," Artemis assured Bianca. "But you will be free of responsibility. He will have the camp counselors take care of him. And you will have a new family. Us." 

"A new family," Bianca repeated dreamily. "Free of responsibility." 

"Bianca, you can't do this," I said. "It's nuts." 

She looked at Zoë. "Is it worth it?" 

Zoë nodded. "It is." 

"What do I have to do?" 

"Say this," Zoë told her, " 'I pledge myself to the goddess Artemis.'" 

"I... I pledge myself to the goddess Artemis." 

"'I turn my back on the company of men, accept eternal maidenhood, and join theHunt.'" 

Bianca repeated the lines. "That's it?" 

Zoë nodded. "If Lady Artemis accepts thy pledge, then it is binding." 

"I accept it," Artemis said. 

The flames in the brazier brightened, casting a silver glow over the room. Bianca looked no different, but she took a deep breath and opened her eyes wide. 

"I feel... stronger." 

"Welcome, sister," Zoë said. 

"Remember your pledge," Artemis said. "It is now your life." 

I couldn't speak. I felt like a trespasser. And a complete failure. I couldn't believe I'd come all this way and suffered so much only to lose Bianca to some eternal girls' club. 

"Do not despair, Percy Jackson and Grayson Martin," Artemis said. "You will still get to show the di Angelos your camp. And if Nico so chooses, he can stay there." 

"Great," I said, trying not to sound surly. "How are we supposed to get there?" 

Artemis closed her eyes. "Dawn is approaching. Zoë, break camp. You must get to Long Island quickly and safely. I shall summon a ride from my brother." 

Zoë didn't look real happy about this idea, but she nodded and told Bianca to follow her. As she was leaving, Bianca paused in front of me. "I'm sorry, Percy. But I want this. I really, really do." 

Then she was gone, and Grayson and I were left with the twelve-year-old goddess. 

"So," Grayson said glumly. "We're going to get a ride from your brother, huh?" 

Artemis's silver eyes gleamed. "Yes, boy. You see, Bianca di Angelo is not the only one with an annoying brother. It's time for you to meet my irresponsible twin, Apollo."