The Club

The mysterious figure stepped into the light to reveal himself. He was tall, slim, and young. He looked maybe a few years older than me. Red shades covered his eyes, and a soft smirk revealed on his lips.
"Uh, hi." I finally sputter out after a long moment. Hi? What was that? My eyes dropped to my feet as I felt my cheeks burn.
"You're Thea, right?" The low voice said. I nodded, "the Professor has told us about you. I think he's kept you down here so that we don't scare you away." He chuckled. Why are my palms sweaty? I discreetly rubbed them against my thighs. "What are you doing up so late? Did you need something?" He asked.
"Oh, no" I stammered, "I just couldn't sleep." He made a "ah" face followed by a long awkward silence. "Well hey, since you're up, why don't I give you the grand tour?" He lifted his arms into the air with a grin. I gave him a questionable look. "Why not?" I replied, not like I was going back to sleep anyways. He offered a smile and I did back.

He led me out of the hallway and through another set of doors. He showed me rooms full of weapons and equipment, uniforms, and all sorts of things. My jaw dropped one set of doors opened up to reveal a huge garage with a literal jet. Another room he said was used for training.

"What do you do with all of this stuff?" I asked.

"Oh you know, find new mutants in danger, fight crime, all of that normal stuff," he grinned as he pushed his hair out of his eyes. "You could do that too, ya know, I mean, you're staying right?"

"Staying?"

"Yeah, I mean, you could be one of us. You could be an X-Men."

I hadn't really thought about what I was going to do, where I was going to go. I feel mostly better now, I limp slightly from my fractured ankle. Before I could speak, Scott suddenly stopped walking and just stood there for a second, as if someone were talking to him. But it was just me and him. After a second he glanced at me. "I, Uhh, I gotta go head upstairs. I'll catch up with you later, yeah?" He grinned again and then rushed out the hall like a kid on Christmas morning. Weird.

***
The next morning the Professor led me out of the metal dungeon and upstairs into what turned out to be a mansion. I was in awe. Kids everywhere, playing, going to class. It wasn't just a safe haven. It was a school. They trained, learned about their powers, mentored by their older peers. I wasn't oblivious to the life outside of the secret force, but I didn't imagine there were places like this for people like me.

"Oh, believe me, I can't thank you enough for what you've done for me" I said, looking up shyly to the Professor who sat behind his desk. My fingers rubbed against the leather seat I sat in.

"Thea," the Professor began to say, "If there is anything else I may be able to help you with. Any family or loved ones I can help you get in contact with?" I tried to think. Tried to remember. I shook my head. I thought of the faceless man and women in my dreams, and the small girl. But they were just a fantasy.
"Please know that there is a place for you here, if you so choose it," the Professor said. I stayed quiet for a moment. He began to open his mouth, but I could see the hesitation in his eyes. I gave him a curious look.

"It is...possible...that I could help you with your memory," He began, "I tried to help Logan." My eyes widened and my heart stopped. "You can help me? You can bring back my memories?" I suddenly felt like I was talking very fast. "You might not get all of the answers you are looking for...but we can always try" he said with a smile. I smiled back.

***

"I apologize as we are under a bit of construction, many of our students are sharing rooms. We should have one ready for you soon, but for now you will be sharing with one of our top students." The Professor said as we stood outside of a bedroom door. He locked and the door suddenly opened from within. No one stood behind the knob, only a slim girl with shiny crimson hair with her feet kicked up in the air as she flipped through a magazine on her bed.

"Jean, meet the newest addition to the school and your new roommate"

Her face snapped forward to reveal bright doe eyes and pierced lips. She got up from her bed and stood next to it. "Hi, I'm Jean."

"Thea" I replied with a quick smile.

"Perhaps we should let her get settled?" The Professor said to Jean. She nodded and began following him out of the room, but not without glancing back at me, "Welcome to the club" she said with a smirky smile. The door shut behind them. She must have powers like mine. I couldn't quite catch the vibe from her.

The stillness filled the air as I was left alone. I had nothing to unpack. A bed with a neatly laid quilt stood next to tall glass window. That one must be mine. I plowed down unto it and just laid there staring at the ceiling.