Resisting the urge to soothe it in public, you walk towards where most of the commoner's children are, greeting them with sweets in your hand. "Is everyone having fun?" you question, getting a collective answer of loud yeses.

"You look strained for a pretty princess." Koshar pats you in the back as you send him a glare.

"It's not easy to sit on a chair for hours, my ass feels so numb." You groan, trying to keep your voice down so that the nobles wouldn't hear your informal speech.

"Want me to massage it for you?"

Your face lights up in fluster before you smack him, "Don't tease me here, I have a face to save."

He chuckles before handing you champagne as an apology.

"Oh my, I didn't know ( y/n ) already had a lover!"

It's one of the mothers from a noble family, one that's recently ascended from a commoners family. You used to babysit her children for her a few years back.

"Lady Ines, there's a misunderstanding, Lord Koshar and I are just friends-"

"Oh, don't be so shy now, I've known you for years! I notice when someone's caught your attention." She giggles, pointing her closed fan at you.

Hearing the interaction, Kaufman frowns from a distance, catching the attention of his secretary, the one who made his visit to the Eastern Empire possible.

"Is this tea party not to your liking, Grand Duke?"

Kaufman shakes his head, "No, I'm just.."

"If you fancy that lad then best avoid hesitating. You seem to have a rival." He chuckles at his superior, sipping on a glass of wine.

"I suppose you're right."

══════⊹⊱❖⊰⊹══════

"kaufman! i was wondering where you'd gone." smiling and tiptoeing to give him a friendly hug, you hear him whisper something incoherent before hugging you back.

"hm?"

"what?"

oh, must've misheard.

you smile to cover up the misunderstanding, separating from the hug before turning to introduce him to guests.

"oh, you and koshar have met already right? you should go and catch up again." sensing the aggressiveness that begins to arise between them, you quickly push them to a nearby food table.

"i heard you were away on business, what happened to that?" koshar scoffs, crossing his arms.

"i happened to finish that business early and wanted to attend one of my dear friend's tea parties." kaufman remains noble and elegant.

you send them threatening looks, tightening your hold on their arms.

"a-ah have you heard about the new tea set that's the talk of the town?"

"y-yes i have. i wanted to purchase it for my mother.."

an odd topic, but you'll take it. "I'll introduce both of you to everyone else, no fighting while I stalk. yes?"

"yes ma'am."

"good."

dragging them back towards the center, you say their names to both the commoners and nobles, introducing them as one of your closest friends.

'hey, listen. i'm getting her attention this time.'

'i'd like to see you try.'

the tension is still strong between them but they're as silent as you'd like.

"big sis ( y/n ) has two boyfriends!"

you choke on air, quickly composing yourself to clear the misunderstanding, however koshar and kaufman are already racing to carry the kid in their arms before you could.

"hey there little lady, want big sis ( y/n )'s to carry you up?"

"this bug brother is mean, let me carry you instead princess."

you stare at them in disbelief, turning and covering your face with a hand. "i don't know those people."

"i want the pretty white hair prince!" the kid is happy to exclaim, throwing her hands up.

"aunt ( y/n ) is my big sis too! she said i'm her favourite so i should be carried by mister knight!"

"HAAHAHAHHA SUCKER" koshar happily carries the little boy, who you indeed claimed to be your favorite,

but there was one problem.

"BUT BIG SIS SAID I WAS HER FAVORITE!"

"I'M NOT HER FAVORITE, WAAAAAAHHH"

you happened to tell every kid you've played with that they were your favourite.

cries spread along the ballroom as mothers rush to comfort their kids. you follow along as well, trying your best to pacify their worries.

well, you were definitely going to be scolded by Navier and be the topic to rumours for the next few days thanks to Koshar and Kaufman who avoid your glares.

──────⊱⁜⊰──────

not proofread