xxxviii - 𝘢𝘳𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦

Start from the beginning

The call ended, the inevitable frostiness of it leaving Verity feeling even more conflicted than ever. Henry had been nothing but pleasant to her, and now she knew her mind games were irritating him (understandably so) she wondered just how hurt they would both be if she chose to leave Castle Combe.

The psychologist lifted herself from the desk, a weighty feeling to her body like no other. She felt she was turning to stone, and part of her so wished she could just freeze up - fall down and not have to think anymore.

-

Around midday, Verity only found sanctuary from her own torment in the fresh air of the field, watching Charlie riding his little pony.

The boy was having a lesson from one of the more knowledgeable stable hands, and it was a joy for Verity to see Charlie having such a good time. The breadth of the little boy's grin and laughter removed her from her own painful reality; even if that just was for half an hour or so.

Hands stuffed into her coat pocket, she stood there in a borrowed pair of Wellingtons from the stable and watched on- the wind breezing past her ears and almost completely defeating her from the shouts of her name from the house.

Turning, wondering if she was perhaps imagining it - Verity caught sight of Francis waving fanatically. The psychologist somewhat nervously began her trek back up towards the house, meeting the maid at the back door.

"Miss Grant, I have a phone call for you." She said politely, arms tightly wrapped around herself in the cold breeze. "A lady by the name of Nina."

It may have looked rude, the way Verity dispatched from her steadfast spot and broke into a jog. She kicked off the Wellington boots just inside the door and bolted for the office, heart hammering and brain thumping as if it could not comprehend this moment had finally arrived.

She had no idea what she was supposed to say... it had been so long.

Hands cold from the blustery outdoors, Verity scrambled to pick up the receiver as she engaged the call, still breathless from her sprinting and anxiety alike.

"...Verity?" Nina's voice. She sounded so calm, yet apprehensive with the wavering flickers of her tone. It was such a contradiction to the last words Verity had heard from her younger sister, filled with such animosity and shame.

Clutching her hand over her mouth, Verity felt a wave of deep sadness and joy combined crash over her. Her eyes instinctively began to tear, thinking about just how much she had missed her sister.

"Nina... how- how are you?" Verity stumbled, the obvious tearful stammer in her voice that was trying so hard to appear as collected. The wall of formality between them felt so incredibly stale considering everything that had happened.

"I'm good," Nina replied pleasantly, but there was an air of sadness lingering in her voice, "I wanted to reach out... I'm sure you know by now Mr Shelby came to visit."

Verity looked down quietly at the desk beneath her, tapping her nails nervously against the wood as Nina took a short breath.

"I would love to meet, to talk properly... if you would like?" Nina offered, and already Verity's heart felt fit to burst out of her chest. "I think Harry wants to see his aunt too."

Verity's smile blossomed like a wild Rose, as she clutched that giddy feeling growing in her stomach.

"Wild horses couldn't hold me." The psychologist said earnestly, "I'll get the next train I can down to London. Shall we meet for dinner?"

"Sounds perfect," the sister corroborated, "will you be ok to get here? I was told you had injured yourself."

Verity didn't care at this point if she point blank snapped her ankle trying to get down to London, she was going, even if it was the last thing she did.