Perking the Pansies, Jack and Liam move to Turkey

Just imagine the absurdity of two openly gay, recently 'married' middle aged, middle class men escaping the liberal sanctuary of anonymous London to relocate to a Muslim country.

Jack and Liam, fed up with kiss-my-arse bosses and nose-to-nipple commutes, quit their jobs and move to a small town in Turkey. Join the culture-curious gay couple on their bumpy rite of passage. Meet the oddballs, VOMITs, vetpats, emigreys, semigreys, debauched waiters and middle England miseries. When prejudice and ignorance emerge from the crude underbelly of Turkey's expat life, Jack and Liam waver. Determined to stay the course, the happy hedonistas hitch up their skirts, move to the heart of laissez-faire Bodrum and fall in love with their intoxicating foster land. Enter Jack's irreverent world for a right royal dose of misery and joy, bigotry and enlightenment, betrayal and loyalty, friendship, love, earthquakes, birth, adoption and murder. You couldn't make it up.

A bitter-sweet tragi-comedy that recalls the first year of a British gay couple living in a Muslim land. 

First Published Great Britain 2011 by Summertime Publishing

© Copyright Jack Scott

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying recording or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the publisher.

This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, resold, hired out, or otherwise circulated without the publisher's prior consent in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed on the subsequent purchaser.

ISBN:  978-1-904881-64-3

Disclaimer

This book is based on actual events. To protect the privacy of the persons involved, and in the interest of narrative clarity, some names, characterisations, locations, conversations and timescales have been changed.

Teşekkür Ederim

My eternal thanks to the expats of Turkey who handed me a story (or was it a poisoned chalice?) on an appreciative plate. The truth is often stranger than fiction. I continue to be surprised and touched by the remarkable interest shown by my blog- reading pansy fans. Your support prompted me to write this book. A special mention to proof-reader extraordinaire, Helen Fraser, who had the unenviable task of trawling through the error-strewn first draft. Paul Burston's encouragement has been hugely welcome as have the surprisingly kind words from the reviewers of the book. Thank you to my inspirational publisher, Jo Parfitt, for taking a gamble on an unknown writer: I hope her blind faith will be rewarded. A big hand to Kilian Kröll, my brilliant American editor, who coped with some baffling and racy British idioms with patience and good humour.

To my London life friends, thank you for keeping me sane. I'm so grateful to Charlotte and Alan for letting me tell their heart aching tale. One day Adalet will return.

Profound thanks to my mother and my family who take me as I am and love me regardless.

Finally, how could I not mention my Liam? Without whom and all that. His double-whammy strategy of challenge and support made this book what it is. So blame him if you don't like it.

Perking the Pansies, Jack Scott's award winning, best-selling debut book is available in paperback and as an ebook from all usual retailers. Signed copies are available direct from the author.

Sequel released in 2015 on Springtime Books - Turkey Street, Jack and Liam move to Bodrum. For more information check out http://www.jackscott.info.