𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟔. i'm unstoppable today.

I'M UNSTOPPABLE TODAY.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

STARCROSSED (book one)

°• CHAPTER SIXTEEN •°

" I'M GAY. YOU CAN SAY IT.
ITS NOT A BAD WORD. "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

ELIJAH WOLFHART WAS CARRYING QUITE A LOT OF GUILT. For starters: he shouldn't be keeping this from Nevaeh. If she could hop between worlds, then this involved her. She did have every right to know. Maybe it was selfish to protect her, but she was better off being stuck in the unknown. Whatever Doctor Owens needed Nevaeh for, she'd be safer in Hawkins Lab. Not to mention none of this was fair to Nancy, was it? He was in love with her... Whatever they were, and were hunting down that creature Dustin thought was a brilliant idea to bring home. Elijah hated himself for it. Nancy was an incredible friend of his and Nevaeh was his baby sister. He loved them.

This all... Sort of made Elijah a horrible friend and an equally worse brother. He knew that. He even felt bad about it. But Elijah had never been selfish a day of his life, so. Sucks. He was going to enjoy being a selfish asshole while it lasted even when it felt like he was trudging along the train tracks with sneakers made of concrete blocks.

"... Alright, so let me get this straight," Steve wonders out loud. "You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who... Who you just met?" He flicks another chunk of raw meat onto the soil.

Elijah scoffs. He still can't believe this shit. This is why he hates kids in the first place. Stupid, reckless, clueless - and here he was anyway, almost elbow deep in soiled meat, his ax rolled into the straps of his bag, cleaning up one of their messes.

"Alright, that's grossly oversimplifying things," Dustin argues.

"Oversimplifying things," Elijah parrots, annoyed. "Even if that thing wasn't a baby Demogorgon, it was obviously dangerous." He shot a glance at Steve over his shoulder after tossing some meat at his feet. "Are all kids this fucking stupid?"

Steve shrugs. "You're the one with a kid sister," he points out, the point flying over his halo head of hair. Nevaeh was hardly younger than them anyway. "And I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug?"

"An interdimensional slug? Because it's awesome!" Dustin exclaims as if it was obvious.

"Well, even if she thought it was cool - which she didn't - I... I just, I don't know. I just feel like you're trying too hard, man," Steve suggests unhelpfully with a swing of his bucket that he lowers to his knee.