𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟑. surface pressure.

SURFACE PRESSURE.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

STARCROSSED (book one)

°• CHAPTER THIRTEEN •°

" I'VE DONE THINGS.
REALLY, REALLY, REALLY
MESSED UP THINGS. "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

SPORTS WERE NEVER ONE OF ELIJAH'S FAVORITE THINGS. A long time ago, Steve tried to make him a little interested in the topic the same way he tried to force information about the stars and constellations on Steve just simply because they were close, and they wanted the other to understand the same interests they had. There was no better way to dig into the depths of friends. So they would both pretend. Steve would listen with starry, brown eyes as he listened to stories about galaxies and constellations. Elijah acted like the numbers on the board of a sports game mattered, but he secretly loved the way his adrenaline skyrocketed every time he dribbled a basketball down a court.

It was sweet. Elijah treasured memories like that. He still isn't a fan of sports, not like Steve was, but he would try to be. For him. And he knew how deeply the feeling flowed when Steve was silent, hanging onto every word when they were sprawled on their backs watching the stars around them glimmer. Elijah sometimes wondered what would go on through his head as he spoke. He'd give anything to have known his thoughts in those moments. Other days he wondered if he wanted to know.

However, Gym was still Elijah's least favorite class of the day. While Science was at the top of the list, P.E. was located on the bottom. It doesn't help that his head was clouded with what happened that morning when he woke up with a small pang in the back of his head, pressed into Steve's chest. He's glad he wasn't shitfaced and could remember what occurred the night before.

The sun peeking through the curtains nearly blinded Elijah. He squinted and tilted his head against the pillows once he realized just how close he was to the other boy in his bed. Steve was still snoring softly, fast asleep, and blissfully unaware that he was being stared at. His heart started hammering at the sight so hard it almost hurts. It's been too long since they've done something like this. Elijah didn't know just how badly he missed it until it was here. But that didn't mean it was okay.

While the bed was warm and inviting, Elijah fought off the urge to stay and curl closer. He rolled away and planted his feet on the floor instead. It'd be nice to sleep past breakfast, here, where he finally felt well-rested for the first time in such a long time. It was like he said - he missed this. Elijah took a deep breath, fought against what he wanted the most, and slapped Steve's shoulder, startling him. "Hey, Harrington. Wake up," he demands.