When they returned, Bob had helped Rue put up her medals and trophies on a freshly built shelf, along with the vinyl covers and a new vinyl player.

After Rue had made herself at home with the help of her father, she started with her routine. She would wake up at seven in the morning every day (an hour before Bob woke up for work) to brush her teeth and hair before heading downstairs to make breakfast for herself and Bob. On the weekends, Rue would make a big breakfast, and on weekdays she'd make something simple like oatmeal or eggs and toast.

Then, she'd leave behind a note before going on a run. At this time, she would listen to her mixtape as she ran around the neighbourhood. After an hour or so, she would come back home for lunch and shower before getting dressed to leave again. Rue would walk to the RadioShack to give Bob his lunch and extra for Joyce, knowing that he likes to make excuses to see her at work.

Then Rue goes to the library, where she's been meeting Will Byers every day because he promised to tutor her in Audio Visuals if she promised to make him a cassette of her favourite songs and bring him some leftovers from lunch.

Rue agreed because she needed to know as much as she could about Audio Visuals if she ever wanted to help Bob in the RadioShack.

If it had been anyone else, they would have thought it was too much work, especially on summer vacation. But with the simple yet busy schedule, Rue learned that she enjoyed keeping herself on her toes.

Somedays, she would take a different running route, and it would take her a little longer than usual to get back home, and others she didn't meet up with Will at the library but at the arcade instead, where he showed her how to play Dig Dug.

And that was her day: breakfast, morning runs, lunch, drop-offs at the RadioShack, meet up with Will—sometimes at the library or arcade, and Jonathan would pick them up where they would all gather at the Byers' home for dinner and a movie— sometimes it was in the Newby's. The loop Rue had put herself in made her gain more control of her life. She hardly ever broke her schedule.

Her mother had always told her that everything was better when it was in order.

Ruth's routine was predictable and consistent. It helped her get through the whole summer without another complete breakdown.

Some days, Rue still encounters Daniella Patel, the girl next door. They would chat from their windows and sometimes sit on the roof together as Daniella would give Rue terrible tips for life. "Don't ever kiss a guy with braces," Daniella advised one night as they sat on the branches of the tree.

"I'm guessing you kissed a guy with braces," Rue swung her feet back and forth, tilting her head as she glanced at Dani expectantly.

Dani sighed and slumped her shoulders, causing the strap of her red tank top to slip. "Made out with him, actually. Nearly tore my lip apart," she said, and Rue's eyes widened when Dani bent closer to her, pointing at the corner of her mouth, "You can still see the scar, look."

Rue backed away, laughing as she scrunched her nose, "I don't need to see that."

"Alright," Dani put her hands up in defence, leaning back, "Your loss."

"So, college?" Rue wondered, recalling Daniella's announcement a few nights prior that she would be departing a week before school began.

"I'm fucking terrifed," She huffed.

Rue blinked, surprised, "Really? Dani Patel is scared of something?"

"Shut up, Junior," Dani groaned, her hand squishing Rue's cheeks before she shoved her face away playfully.