Gabe's Halo

My boyfriend is the best.

       I 'am Isabell Pereira, a Jew in Germany in 1941. I am 16, have long brown hair and love my family; four brothers and three sisters. My boyfriend is Gabe Bauer, a German. He is 17, has short dirty blonde hair and unlike me, is an only child. We met in school before the first war. We became best friends, and during the war he finally got the courage to ask me out. He had gotten away from being a soldier when the came for him. Gabe is an amazing person and always does what's right. After the first war, people blamed the Jews. They told us that we were not real Germans and that we were traitors. No Germans liked the Jews. Germans wouldn't talk or sell things to us. Most wouldn't even look at us. But, not all Germans were bad. Some had Jewish friends and talked to them in secret.  Gabe's family, the Bauers were good people and bought us things we couldn't get ourselves. I thought that not getting sold something was the worst it would get. Damn, was I wrong.

       It was a chilly fall evening. My family was at the Bauers to hang out. I had decided to go and sit outside on their huge balcony, my legs hanging over the edge. Unlike my poor Jewish family the Bauers had some money to spare. Gabe's dad worked for the government and was payed well.  I had just sat down and looked at the bright sunset that was happening before me. I sighed and smiled looking out, and was starting to wish I had brought my jacket, when a big, warm, goat fur blanket, was put around my shoulders. I looked over my shoulder to see Gabe smiling big. He sat down next to me and put an arm around my waist, then snuggled into me.

       "It's a beautiful sunset tonight" he said as he got comfortable.

       "Ya, makes the world seem small next to it" I responded slowly, smiling.

       "And somewhere in that world is America, and that's where we're heading"

       Gabe had always wanted to see America. He wanted to take both of our families there. To show us what life for us could be like there. So my family would no longer be discriminated for our religion. I wanted to go, but was not sure we would ever get there. It was a long journey to get there without dying, and wasn't sure my siblings could handle it.

       Just then, my youngest siblings, Oliver; 4, and Ava; 5, came out on the deck, running and playing.

       "Don't go near the edge" I yelled to them. 

       Oliver ran over and sat on my now legs crossed lap. Ava ran over and did the same to Gabe.

        "Are we going to America soon, Gabe?"  Ava said in her little voice, squeaking like a mouse.

       "Yes! We can't wait!" Oliver squealed.

       I looked at Gabe to see what he would say to them.

       "Sehr bald" he said staring at the almost gone sun. I smiled, at him using the German word. Sehr bald meant very soon. We sat in silence, thinking.

       "Ok you two, it's getting dark. Head inside." I said slowly, smiling at my young siblings. 

       Grumbling, they got up and went inside. It was dark by now and the first stars were starting to show. Gabe scooted closer to me and put an arm around me.

        "Do you really think that we'll make it to America?" I turned to him.

       "I don't know Isa. I hope that we will, us and our families. I just want you to be safe."

       "You don't have to worry about us"

       We both laid on our backs and stared at the black sky. The stars were out now, big and bright as ever. I sighed, laying next to Gabe, looking at the stars, it was magical.