Across Time {One Shot}

Start from the beginning

"You'll get possessed." Shanza pointed out.

Mahira just rolled her eyes as she closed the door and followed Harris towards the iron gates.

Naturally, the rest of the cousins got out and followed. They were concerned about the two going alone, as well as the fact that the curiosity was gripping them too strongly.

"This is not a good idea." Waleed, the eldest, looked worried. "It's not hygienic and definitely not safe. Someone could get hurt..."

Ignoring him, Harris reached out and pushed the gate open, causing it too make a cliché squeaking sound that made them all wince.

A gentle breeze swept across the open veranda that led up to the mansion. Dead, scattered leaves were tossed about the dust-covered floor, and a low creaking noise could be heard from the right. The cousins glanced in that direction and saw a swing hanging from a large, aging tree, moving from the wind that was starting to pick speed with every passing second.

"A minute ago, there was no breeze, not even a hint of it." Ayana stated what everyone else was thinking.

And suddenly, the seemingly brave Harris didn't want to enter this place. He, of course, did not admit his feelings aloud to his cousins, but his feet automatically froze at the threshold just before the gates, unwilling to step inside.

"If you're afraid, just tell us, Harry." Shanza teased him.

Harris scoffed. "Scared my a**." His ego and pride overpowered his hesitation and he took a stepped inside.

"HARRY!"

"WHAT THE HELL?"

Saliha blinked, unable to understand what had just happened. One moment Harris had been there, and the next moment...he wasn't.

He disappeared into thin air right in front of their eyes.

"Harris, what the hell?" Waleed's voice rose, as he panicked. This couldn't be a prank. No human could play a prank where they could disappear into thin air in front of someone's eyes. This wasn't a film. There were no special camera effects.

"Okay, I told you..." Shanza's voice shook as her eyes widened. "This place has jinn."

"No." Waleed shook his head. "We have to find him and get out of here." He took a step inside as well...

...and like his brother, he vanished into thin air as well.

The remaining cousins screamed, startled.

A strong gust of wind suddenly swept across the abandoned property, making Saliha stumble back.

"We have to go after them." Mahira was in tears. "We have no other choice. They are our cousins, and we can't just leave them."

"Go after them where?" Ayana's voice was high-pitched as she turned to stare at her cousin through her round, thick-framed glasses. "We have no idea where they are! Ya Allah, they could be dead for all we know!"

"For God's sake, Ayana!" Shanza muttered. "I'm going. This is insane." She looked at Saliha. "Coming? Or waiting in the minibus with Ayana?"

"I'm not waiting in the bloody minibus on my own!" Ayana shrieked. "Saliha, come on. Let's call the adults. They'll know what to do."

But Saliha was again staring up at the house, and was already taking slow steps towards the gate, as if lured by an invisible magnetic force.

"Saliha, what are you..."

The voices, the darkness, the surroundings, everything vanished. Saliha found herself in a multi-coloured whirlpool, surrounded by shades of pink, purple, light blue and orange. Her long and straight dark brown hair flew around her and she felt light, as if she was floating in thin air. The loud whooshing sound of this colourful phenomenon was soon replaced my music. At first it was very quiet, almost inaudible, but it grew louder and louder, and eventually Saliha realised what it was.