A Gift Ceremony

Juano followed Mirabel into a giant kitchen where a fifty-year-old woman wearing blue and green kitchen clothing and a slightly younger man with glasses and giant swells from bee stings were setting up things.

The woman was surprised to see Mirabel with her giant basket. "Mira, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Mirabel panted, setting down the basket.

"You know you don't have to overdo it," the woman said comfortably.

"I know Mama. I just want to do my part as the rest of the family," Mirabel said, heaving some stuff out.

"Would you like some help?" Juano offered.

"No. It's okay,"

Mirabel's mother noticed him. "Who are you?" she asked kindly.

"Juano...he answered nervously.

"Mum...he's needs healing," Mirabel spoke up. "He had a terrible tumble down the hill and..." Juano did an extremely loud sneeze that she jumped.

"Oh, you poor thing. Here..." Julieta gave him a bun and in a second, his bruises vanished and he stopped sneezing.

"Ah thanks, Miss..."

"Julieta Madrigal. This is my husband Agustin,"

"Nice to meet you, Mr and Mrs Madrigal," Juana greeted. "Your buns are very tasty Julieta"

"Why thank you,"

"See you're here to attend Antonio's ceremony," Agustin said.

"What happened to your nose and hand?" Juano asked.

Mirabel noticed and cringed. "Bee stings,"

Julieta saw it too and scoffed. "Oh boy. You're never going to stop getting bee stings," she gave her husband a bun and instantly his swells disappeared.

"Know this Mirabel...you've nothing to prove," Agustin said. "When Tio Felix and I married into the family, outsiders who had no gift never would. Surrounded by the exceptional, it was easy to feel unexceptional,"

"Okay Pape," Mirabel said nervously.

Juano couldn't help but not enjoy her discomfort. Even though her father was trying to comfort her, he wasn't exactly giving her the best advice. Agustin noticed his glance and stared awkwardly at him. "Where are you from? You're not from around here?"

"I'm from outside the village," Juano answered anxiously.

The parents were appalled. "From outside the Encanto?" Julieta asked. She sounded afraid.

"Hey, mum. He's not a threat," Mirabel said. "He looks lost,"

"What are you doing out here all alone?" Agustin asked next.

"I'm not exactly alone," Juano answered. "If you guys sit down and listen...I promise I will tell you the truth,"

Alma was escorted through the village by the three boys with some adults. At the far end, she saw three donkeys with a father and two teenage children.

"Greetings madam," the man addressed kindly. "I am Carlos Sanchez. These are my children Alejandro and Mariana,"

Alma accepted his greeting. "Thank you for your kind introduction. I am Alma Madrigal. And what brings you to our village?"

"We're looking for my son Juano. We came across a tunnel in the walls of the mountains and believed he went through,"

"Wait a minute. Did you just say a tunnel?" Alma asked.