four

CHAPTER FOUR

TALK SCIENCE TO ME

TALK SCIENCE TO ME

WARREN HOWARD AND MIA SHEPHERD GIGGLED. Myra Jean was sitting by their side, looking across the room, waiting for Peter Parker to enter the classroom. After their encounter the night before, Myra Jean had been waiting all day to see him again. Warren and Mia were leaning over to look at Mia's laptop, where a video of a kid in the year below was playing. It was supposed to be funny- a kid who was learning to skateboard falling off multiple times in a matter of 50 seconds. Myra Jean had rolled her eyes, electing to ignore the offer to watch along. Mia lets out a howling laugh and Mr Hawkins frowns as he enters the classroom. Mr Hawkins was an old man who was strict and often grumpy, but Myra Jean had found his soft side. He was actually really sweet and kind, he often proof-read little pieces of Myra Jean's articles before they were submitted. Mr Hawkins writes on his whiteboard, writing out some questions for the students to ponder in todays lesson.

Then the door opens and Peter steps inside. He looked tired, drained even, as if he had been awake all night. Myra Jean's face softens at the sight of him. He glances around the classroom before he takes his seat, but doesn't even meet Myra Jean's eye. She sinks back in her chair. Her heart was beating hard and fast. Had she done something wrong? Was her asking him to call her MJ a little too personal?

"You okay, Myra Jean?" Warren asks from his seat beside her. She looks over at him and forces a smile.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," She says quickly, nodding her head multiple times to try and emphasis how absolutely fine she was. Warren looks at her worriedly, but turns his attention quickly back to Mr Hawkins. Now Warren had his internship at the Daily Bugle, he had not stopped bugging Mr Hawkins for a place on the gifted and talented student piece that decorated the left wall, by the door. Upon it were the faces of the best students in Midtown High School in the English department. Myra Jean looks over, seeing her own smiling face centred in the middle.

The lesson is spent not concentrating on the actual work, and instead staring at the back of Peter Parker's head willing him to turn around and at least look at her. But his head keeps facing forwards. When the school bell rings, signalling the end of the day, Peter packs his bag slowly.

"I'll catch up with you," Myra Jean says to Warren, who had invited her and Mia out for a coffee date. Warren and Mia nod, heading out of the classroom.

Myra Jean grabs her satchel and steps up beside Peter Parker. He was looking at a journal, scribbled notes swirled all over the pages. Myra Jean announces herself with a cough. He looks up, meeting her eyes.

"Hey," Myra Jean says, breathing deeply afterwards. She felt so breathless around him, it was strange, how he made her feel. Now they had more of a connection than Myra Jean had ever had with anyone.