𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Start from the beginning

ding

"Hmm." Speak of the devil.

Out of the corner of my eye, the suit clad body stood near the elevator chatting amongst his fellow agents. As if they felt me looking, all three of their heads simultaneously turn my way.

Licking my bottom lip, I feel my mouth slowly tug up into a smile. Finally.

"Man, I've been looking for you everywhere."

Tugging the black shirt back over my head, I grab my water bottle and down the remaining remnants of liquid.

His hair was the same as always, so curly and unruly, so miserably held back by hair gel. A singular rebellious curl falling into his line of sight.

Bro think he the Mexican superman.

My chest heaved up and down, the effects of working out still at play.

Special Agent Mendez, my absolute worse nightmare, I have the faintest of clues what the hell the me in those images was so giggly about. I mean yeah he's cute and all, but this bastard seriously irk my nerves.

"Good morning, Mendez. Got a second?"

"NO." Walker jumps between us, latching onto my shoulders, "lady are you crazy!? That is enough! enough I say."

"Mmtch. I wasn't even about to do nothin'." You kick someone down a flight of stairs one time and never hear the end of it apparently.

"Enough, save me the wretched words of your vile tongue woman."

"Have you gone mad? Unhand me you fool, for I know no mercy."

Walker gasps. "That was so good!"

I grin nodding my head up and down, "you caught that? That was smooth huh?"

"Sound like an exquisite gentleman."

"Yeah yeah. I been practicin-"

"Are you two done!?"

Oh I forgot they were in here. Bringing my attention back to the other two bodies in the weight room, I absentmindedly start swinging my bottle around my pinky finger.

"Wassup? I been lookin' for you for damn near a month and now you pop up out the blue."

Damon glances down at me and then my attire. Black spandex, black muscle shirt, and white high top converse, body drenched in sweat from head to toe.

"Let's go, Ballard needs to see you." Short, simple, straight to the point.. my type of guy.

We step into the elevator together, waiting for the doors to shut.

"You look good. Healthier."

I smirk. "Thanks. Any new evidence?"

"Mm." He hums, thinking. "No, not really."

"Ah."

The elevator dings, and we step out into the hallway.

Have you ever felt a hundred pair of eyes on you, all simultaneously glaring at you and judging your every move? Well this is that.

I've only ever been in this lobby when I absolutely needed to be, and that was only one other time besides now.

Every time I step foot on this carpeted floor, I receive the same looks from the agents. They all look from afar eyes knowing far more than I. Whispering and gossiping amongst their colleagues.

But, for some reason, now was different. Maybe it's because I'm in far better shape than I was before.. or, it was the well dressed man beside me.

I held a light and casual conversation with Damon as we walked to Ballard's office, the smirk of many of his counterparts not going unnoticed by his alert eyes.

Without a single thought, I swing the door open and find a seat on the old man's desk. He just raises a brow and shakes his head.

"Damn she don't even knock. Rude ass."

My eyes wander the room of the familiar faces, the same faces that have been ignoring me for the last month.

Tatiana was the second to speak, a more welcoming tone than Jace previously bestowed, "Damn Alix, you shake back quicker than a relapsed fiend ."

My jaw slacks, I look towards Ballard who holds his hand to his face, clearly in utter distress.

"That.. was a compliment..?"

Mike holds up his hand waving it off, "don't question it. Please."

The brunette fairy in the corner stands up and clears her throat, all of our attention now on her multicolored form. In her hands she holds an array of items, all of which instantly catches my gaze.

She walks forward, nervous, it's clear as day, looking like she about to piss her pants. Her body moves in autopilot, her feet carrying her closer and closer to my relaxed stature.

Without a second thought she places all three items down on the desk, right beside me and takes one singular step back. "These are yours." She smiles, well grimaces.

"What's with this?" A 9mm, a badge, and a manila folder.

"They're yours. Welcome to the family."