"Then we leave tomorrow," I say confidently. This has to be done, even if the thought of seeing his face again does unnerve me. "Are you going to come?"

"Of course. I'm not letting him near you without supervision. Who knows what his plan is." Marek runs his hand down my arm and to my hand, clutching it tightly. I hold onto him, the proximity of him alone washing away a lot of my reservations.

"Let's just hope I don't turn into a raging Tani before then, and everyone abandons me," I whisper.

Marek turns his body, grabbing both sides of my face so I'm looking right at him. His eyes, such a icy cold blue, have always awed me. Everything about him has always awed me. His marking has returned, but only partially, soft blue and silver coming down his forehead and temples, visible under his bronze locks.

"Akara...I'm not going to leave your side again unless you tell me yourself you want me gone," he says firmly, his fingers digging into my cheeks, cementing his promise. "We are going to get you help before anything can happen."

I hold his hands that hold me, scared of how I'll feel once I'm not looking into his eyes anymore. "You don't have to do this, you know...Stay with me."

"I'm not going anywhere," he assures me, eyes soft. "How I feel about you hasn't changed."

My hands drop, but his don't, the seriousness of his affections written all over his face. I'm overwhelmed, but I can't pull away. I'm so torn between how I feel about Marek compared to how I'm currently feeling about Tai.

Marek leans forward slowly, giving me a chance to pull away, or push him off, but I don't, allow him lower his hands to my waist.

Gently, he kisses my cheek, silence buzzing around us.

I'm still, afraid if I move I'll break the trance. Marek's smell consumes me, like pine, frost and spice. The touch on my waist is firm enough to border on proprietary, but his lips linger against my cheek, moving to trace my jawline.

He tugs me slightly closer, my head falling back enough for his lips to move down to my neck, laying the softest kisses along my skin. My entire body buzzes with overwhelming sensation.

This is wrong. So wrong.

"You can't love me," I remind him, voice breathy as he slides his hands up from my waist, to my ribs, and around my back, pulling me closer against him until there's not much space between us.

He moves so slowly, sensing my reservations, but like me, is unable to help himself. If I pulled back, he would stop, but if I grabbed his face and kissed him, he would kiss me back.

But if I begged him to take me up to one of the rooms, would he?

"It's not something I can control," he murmurs against my skin, each kiss leaving a searing feeling in it's wake. Even when I hated him, I imagined his touch, his mouth on me. I hated myself for it, just like I hate myself for falling into it now.

My brows crease as I force myself out of this feeling. "I think it's time I get some sleep."

Marek pulls away slowly, desire burning in his eyes as he looks at me. How long has he been holding himself back from me?

"Let me walk you to your room," he offers.

Him and I both know what might happen if we are standing at the threshold to a bedroom. "I don't think that's such a good idea."

He nods, as I stand. Nothing more is said as I rush away, not looking back.

***

I stare out the window of the carriage, watching the Jade Province forest start to melt away, turning into the beginning's of the Scarlet Province.

"Are you all ready to see Tai?" I ask, examining everyone's faces in turn.

"I'm excited for answers," Zavian says with a shrug, shifting uncomfortably. This has been a long ride, with all of us trapped in this tight space with each other. Both Marek and Zavian ignoring each other, a cool bitterness still lingering between them.

"Me too," Nakoa sighs.

Zavian twists his attention to the hunter, who sits next to me. "He's not going to be happy to see you."

I glance at Marek, who appears stoic. What happened last night has not been discussed between us, both of us silently deciding it's better not to reference it again. And now that we are heading to see Tai, it would be a nightmare if he found out anything happened at all between Marek and I. In fact, he's going to be mad enough when he learns Marek is accompanying me to meet up with him again.

"I don't care," Marek mutters. And he doesn't. He doesn't fear Tai.

"He's going to try to kill you," Zavian reiterates. He doesn't care if Marek gets killed, he's just saying it to rile a reaction out of him, but he doesn't know the lethal calm Marek can pull over himself.

Marek doesn't flinch, his gaze heavy with ulterior meaning as he stares Zavian down. "I'll invite him to try."

"There will be no fighting, got it?" I mutter.

The last thing I need is both of my past lovers facing off against each other. Tai rarely got angry, but when he did, he was capable of horrible things. I have no doubt he wouldn't stop until he killed Marek, if he even got the chance.

"I'm not the one who killed my brother," Marek says with a shrug.

"We don't know that for certain," I remind him. I'm willing to give Tai a chance to explain himself, but in reality, chances are what he wrote in that journal was not an exaggeration. "Tai will tell us."

"Ah yes, a man of truth."

"You haven't exactly been truthful either, Marek, so I suggest being quiet," Zavian snaps. I can feel the tension in the air, so prominent it's making my head spin.

"Your loyalty to him is astounding." Marek's done is distasteful, as he regards Zavian with a thoughtful eye. He only knows Zavian as the man once addicted to Tani blood. Right now, as far as he's aware, Marek could be a potential target for Zavian. I'm going to have to explain to him later he has no reason to be wary of my friend.

Zavian's jaw is set in a tight line. "I'm definitely not loyal to you."

"No one would want that," Marek says, shaking his head. "I just want you to think for yourself."

"Enough, both of you," Nakoa snaps, rolling her eyes as she twists to look out the window. "This is going to be a long trip."

Nodding agreement, I close my eyes, seeing Tai within the darkness. I'm going to see him again soon.

And I'm terrified.

💙••💙

Remember that you can always find this story 10 chapters ahead on Radish (:

You will find it under King's Possession Season Three!!

~Midika 🐼💜