The bandits

Alma jumped off the horse and walked towards the youngest three Madrigals. "Alright, inside with you three." She ordered as she beckoned them into the house.

"Whoah, hey!" Camilo exclaimed. "This isn't the plan we agreed on!"
"Yeah, what's this all about?" Mirabel asked as they were led into the house.

Antonio remained silent and just listened to what his Abuela wanted. The family wasn't planning on letting Antonio fight anyway.

"Well, we knew you two wouldn't like this, so we decided on this plan on our own after you two went to bed," Alma explained. "We cannot have children fight these grown men who are armed with knives. You three must stay safe."

Everyone else came into the casita as well to offer their see you soon's, don't worry's and I love you's.
Pepa and Félix especially went to tell Camilo to stay out of trouble and not try anything stupid.

Mirabel's parents both gave her a tight hug, followed by Isabela and Luisa joining in.
"Stay safe, alright mi Vida?" Agustín put his hand to her cheek. "We'll be alright."
"Don't try to be the hero this time," Isabela said, sounding worried. "Last time you were almost crushed by giant chunks of concrete."

Mirabel slightly laughed and smiled at her sister.
Luisa was also trying to tell her to stay safe, but she found it difficult to keep back the tears so she had to stop every two sentences.

Antonio seemed to have a hard time saying goodbye to his parents, so they tried to put his mind to rest the best they could.

"Hey, you'll have Mirabel! And your brother!" Félix tried to calm him. "You'll be okay, nothing'll go wrong!"
"We'll be okay too, if that's what you're worried about," Pepa added.

Antonio slowly nodded his head. He waved his little hand at his parents and they waved back, smiling at him.

"We'll see you soon Toñito!" Félix called out, and they closed Casita's gates behind them.

Mirabel, Camilo, and Antonio stood in the main hall, unsure what to do.

"Mirabel." Suddenly Abuela's voice came from behind them, so Mirabel quickly turned around to see her grandmother.

"We have assigned Camilo to protect his little brother," she told her. "And I want you to protect the candle the best you can."

Mirabel glanced at Camilo, who looked at them with a worried expression.

"I don't know if we can defeat these bandits without our gifts if it ever comes to a fight." Alma went on.

Mirabel nodded, enforcing a determined smile. "I'll do my best, Abuela."

"However," the old woman slightly interrupted her, and place her hand on her granddaughter's shoulder. "If you are in life's danger because of that candle... Leave it. We cannot lose a life over the miracle. I do not want you to risk everything just for that little flame."

There was a short silence between them.

"Promise me." Alma insisted strictly.

Mirabel looked her Abuela in the eyes. There was fear behind them, a deep fear of what was to come, and whether her family would be safe.

Mirabel decided to promise the old woman to leave it when in life-threatening danger.

Alma gave her a small nod, took her hand back and walked away, out through the door.