"What if there were a way for you to come back, though?"

"What are you talking about, Mariposita?"

You shrugged, and crossed your arms loosely over your chest.

"I don't know, Tío...if your vision of Mirabel was the reason you left...what if there was some way to further understand it? Bring justice to ten years of waiting for it to make sense?" Bruno's head hung low as you spoke, his hair brushing against your forehead. "Mirabel said she saw Casita cracking on the night of Antonio's Gifting Ceremony. If she has some big connection to the miracle, why can't she know? Maybe there's a way she can fix it..."

You knew you were grasping at straws with Tío Bruno...but you had to try. If there was a way to bring him back, and to help Mirabel understand what's going on, and a way to fix whatever's hurting the magic...surely this vision would have something to do with it! Maybe it could even help you understand why, during all of this, your own light has been dimmer, flickering closer into the void of darkness, than upwards into the familiar warmth of the sun.

"It's more complicated than that, kid," was all Bruno said.

Frowning, you pushed yourself from the stand, and stood in front of your Tío. As you spoke, you continued to get closer and up into his face, as though you were demanding answers. You'd ended up backing him into a corner, and he held his hands up in defense.

"Why not? What if there was something in there you missed? What if your vision wasn't a bad omen, but, like, an instruction manual on how to save the miracle? Why couldn't there be a way to see more into it? What if you gave me a vision, and it sh...

"Why not? What if there was something in there you missed? What if your vision wasn't a bad omen, but, like, an instruction manual on how to save the miracle? Why couldn't there be a way to see more into it? What if you gave me a vision, and it showed us how to—"

"Y/n!" Startled by Bruno's sudden volume, you jumped back, eyes wide. His eyes turned tired, and he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Lo siento, Y/n...but you know I won't give you a vision. I can't just have another vision, after this last one cast me out of the family for the past ten years... I can't risk hurting you, or them, again."

You let out a stuttered breath, and your arms fell to your side.

"So you're just gonna give up on trying to help them?"

"My gift is the reason it's all falling apart! I want to help my family, Y/n, as much as you do. But me seeing into another broken future won't help them."

You felt a burning beat rushing to your cheeks, and the memory of the last time you'd asked Bruno for a vision crept into your thoughts.

"Why do you keep refusing to look into my future, Tío Bruno?" Your question seemed to catch the man off guard, and he tilted his head to look at you.

"What do you mean, Y/n?"

"I mean...any time I try to bring up any slight possibility of you looking into my future, you get all nervous and sweaty and refuse. You've looked into Dolores' and Isabela's futures? Nearly everyone else's in the Encanto? Yet when it comes to mine you avoid even trying like it's the plague. What is it about my future that has you on such an edge? Is it my gift?"