Chapter One

Amy Cahill was sweeping.
  Back and forth. Back and forth.
  Ever since the Vespers had taken over, she had become their personal slave. She stayed in a cell in the dungeon of the palace. At first that had bothered her, she still didn't even know who Vesper One was. Honestly, she worked in his palace, so close to him, but she'd never even met the guy in person. She had been convinced that they would find a way to defeat the Vespers. But now... her life was finished. They had taken everything from her. They had killed Dan. In fact the only Cahill she was sure that was alive, was Jonah. She saw him on television sometimes. Of course she wasn't allowed to watch TV. Sometimes, though, she caught a look when she was cleaning. Just glimpses, but it was enough. She was extremely upset with the betrayal, of course. Him, just going on with his life like nothing had happened.
  When they had taken Dan away, she nearly died. And when they told her they'd killed him... she cried for over a month. She had given up. She was basically a zombie.
  That was, in fact, a pretty accurate description. She did what she was told, got up when she was told. She slept when she was told. It was sad. At first, before she knew about Dan, she was sure they would find a way to win. Isn't that what always happened in the books? No. She had been foolish. Happy endings only happened in fairytales. The only thing she had left to hope for was that Vesper One wouldn't get hold of a copy of The Hunger Games.
  "Faster!" Claude, her guard for the day, barked.
  She didn't hesitate. If she didn't finish before one o'clock, she wouldn't get dinner. Or breakfast. It was 12:54 right now. One o'clock was when the workers would come out of their offices. If they saw her, she would be in a lot of trouble.
  She quickly finished, and was led down to her cell to sleep, and await her personal torturer. Literally.
  She slept for about an hour. Then she was rudely awakened.
  "Hello, squirt." Cheyenne Wyoming said.
  Amy groaned.
  "What, no hello?" Cheyenne said sarcastically.
  "You come here every day. Why do you insist that I greet you?" Amy's voice was horse; she didn't have much use for it nowadays. Ever since Cheyenne was kicked out of the council, she had been assigned to torture Amy, but not harm her, every day. Amy had learned to ignore her.
  "Because you should be more polite to the only person you ever get to talk to," Cheyenne replied.
  Amy remained silent.
  "You've really gotten boring, Cahill. You now that?" Cheyenne said.
  "Have I? I've forgotten," Amy said.
  Cheyenne rolled her eyes. "Maybe I'll skip today. Come back tomorrow."
  Amy still didn't say anything.
  Cheyenne glared. "Ugh." Then she left.
  Amy sighed and went back to sleep.