Cherishing Memories

On the morning of August 1st, Hermione awoke to see a beautiful sunny day outside her window. Against the door of her wadrobe was her dress for the service; black of course. It was sleeveless and was accompanied by a smart black jacket. Her shoes were very simple. The whole outfit was very plain.

She got up and into her clothes. Brushing her hair into a smart but very plain bun at the back of her head, a couple of tears fell onto her neck. She told herself that she had to do this; for Ron and Ginny's family, not for herself. She knew Harry would be there as well, for the same reasons. At the back of her head, she fastened a black veil into the bun with a simple hair pin. On her hands she wore little black gloves. Finally, she slipped on her shoes and looked in the mirror; her sad, tearful eyes looked right back at her.

Hermione walked down the stairs with such grace. At the foot of the stairs, her mother was waiting to see her off and smiled.

"My little girl, all grown up." she whispered. Hermione didn't smile back, but silently apparated then and there on the step. The world whipped around her, and she kept her eyes closed; before she knew it she had arrived in the back garden of The Burrow. Mrs Weasley came out of the kitchen. Hermione had never seen her wear black in living memory.

"Ah Hermione dear, thank you for coming. Ron's been waiting for you. He's just inside the sitting room; go in." she said, not smiling. Hermione kept her elegance and walked in through the kitchen door. As Mrs Weasley had said, Ron was in the sitting room. He was staring out of the window at the guests who had begun to arrive.

"I knew you'd be waiting for me." Hermione said behind him. He spun round and looked at her, his eyes deep and sad.

"You look beautiful even in black." Ron told her back, walking over and kissing her hand like a gentleman.

"And I can say you look just as handsome." Hermione said back. He smiled and they kissed each other. There was suddenly a pop; Ginny and Harry appeared next to them. They had obviously just apparated from Grimmauld Place, using side-along apparation as Ginny had not yet passed her test. Harry gave Hermione a friendly hug before Mrs Weasley turned up and said it was time to go outside for the service. They got a hold of themselves, and remembered why they were there; this was not the time for a cosy catch up.

The sun shone brightly in the flower filled front garden of The Burrow as the guests walked out in a line. Under a clear white marquee stood a long white table with a black coffin on. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny occupied the first line of four chairs on the left hand side, just infront of the microphone stand. They were silent. Hermione held Ron's hand, and Ginny's as well; she knew this was hard for the both of them. Percy Weasley walked up the middle, holding some papers. Everybody was still silent as they watched him prepare to speak for Fred infront of the microphone.

"We are here today on the first of August 1998 to remember a good young man; Fred Weasley. Fred was special to those of us who were honoured to call ourselves his friends and family; and he was a man of many talents. Without fail, he could make us all laugh so hard we cried, and that is the biggest thing we will miss about him. Though we have George, his lovable identical twin, we will never be the same without Fred."

It was such a beautiful day. Fred's coffin was burried in the nearby church. The entire service walked down the road behind the floating coffin, and it was levitated into the grave. Friends began to leave the service; except for Hermione and Harry, who lingered with Ron and Ginny. Harry kissed Ginny's forehead; together they left their flowers and decided to take a walk for a bit in the sunshine. Ron and Hermione left a huge bouquet of large white lilies by the headstone. It was brilliant white and read:

"In the loving memory of Fred Weasley. Brother to many, Twin and Partner in Crime. He will be sorely missed by family and friends. Died in the Battle of Hogwarts on May 2nd 1998. Mischief Managed"

Ron left George alone at the headstone for some time to himself in the graveyard. He and Hermione walked back to the Burrow together, and said not a word to each other.

That night, Mrs Weasley gave them all a paper lantern. Under the clear night sky with many bright stars, they each lit their lanterns in turn and set them off into the sky. Then, they raised their wands high, each with a bright light at the tip, just as they had when Dumbledore died.

Hermione called her parents on Mr Weasley's telephone to ask if she could stay with Harry, Ron and Ginny at Harry's house. They immediately agreed that she could, but she needed to return to pack her school trunk and take Crookshanks back to Hogwarts with her. Hermione said she would return on August 31st, the day before she was due to leave.

Together, Ron, Ginny, Hermione and Harry bade farewell to the rest of the Weasley family and disapparated on the spot. Seconds later, they appeared in Number 12 Grimmauld Place. It was unrecognisable; Harry, Ginny and Kreacher had obviously been working very hard. The walls had been repainted and Sirius' mother's portrait was but in the attic, where it was nice and quiet, therefore not to wake her up. Harry had repainted everything the colour it was to make it look fresh but the same. But everything still looked wonderful. Sirius' room had been locked with a key and a charm that only allowed Harry to enter the room; Ginny understood.

They had dinner together, which Kreacher had made; mash and sausages with peas and carrots. Hermione thanked Kreacher, who then went to go into his bedroom, on the floor just below the attic; Harry had given him orders not to go and disturb Mrs Black unless he was told he could. They all ate in silence. Ginny went away and returned with some candles, which she bewitched to hover like at Hogwarts. With her wand, she turned out the lights. Harry cleared up himself, giving Kreacher the night off. They all stood at the table, each holding a candle. On the table was a large picture of Fred smiling and laughing. Hermione had printed words to a muggle song and given everyone a copy; she started the music and began to sing.

I always knew this day would come

We'd be standing one by one

With our future in our hands

So many dreams, so many plans

I always knew after all these years

There'd be laughter, there'd be tears

But never thought I'd walk away

With so much joy but so much pain

And it's so hard to say goodbye

But yesterday's gone

We've got to keep moving on

I'm so thankful for the moments

So glad I got to know you

The times that we had I'll keep like the photographs

And hold you in my heart forever

I'll always remember you...

(Song: I'll always remember you by Miley Cyrus; I do not own this song, only this fanfiction story)