Chapter 7: Do the impossible

Start from the beginning

Y/n stared at him, and then at his own fists in confusion.

Junya: "Your fists carry the weight...of the impossible. The weight of a man going up against limitless odds. The weight of a man who does something most people don't even dream of."

Y/n: "...But...this sort of impossibility.. it's different. It's not the achievable kind of thing, it's not something that's doable but unlikely and difficult. I mean, even you have a Quirk, so you wouldn't get it, the difference between a Quirkie and a Quirkless.... It's...most people think that the comparison between those two is like comparing a healthy person to someone with a physical disability...but that's not it."

Y/n shook his head as he looked up at Junya.

Y/n: "The difference between ones with Quirks and ones without, is the difference between a god and a mortal. And...I don't know if I can bridge that gap. I don't think I'll ever know if I'm ready to bridge that gap, no matter how much I train."

Junya stood straight again, as he looked down at Y/n, seemingly in thought, before he spoke.

Junya: "Y'know...eight hundred years ago, before Quirks were ever a thing, people used to call them superpowers and they only showed up in movies and shows and comics."

Y/n listened attentively. While he had no idea what the old man's job really was ever since he retired from hero work, but he suspected it was related to history, since he had a lot of knowledge of the era before Quirks, especially related to many of the movies and TV shows of the time, that had been preserved and restored to be able to be watched even today.

Junya: "This movie was also about a boy wanting to be a hero. And he's not sure if he's ready for it, the entire movie, he hesitates in important moments, makes mistakes, goes through things no boy his age should go through. So, when he finally asks his mentor, 'When do I know I'm a hero?', the answer he gets is...well... it's a leap of faith. You don't know. And you won't, until you go for it. That applies doubly to you, kid, since you're going down a path that people would consider a fantasy within a fantasy. You can't tell the future. You can't magically make yourself the greatest. All you can do, is jump, and all you can control is yourself."

Y/n: "....But I can't control myself. I'm...I'm too scared, I hesitate too much, because I'm a fucking coward!"

There is was. Y/n had a hard time admitting it, but in every fight, every close call, every punch landed....he was afraid.

Junya: "...Do you really think that fear is your enemy?"

Y/n looked at Junya in confusion, as he continued.

Junya: "Fear is your most important ally. When you're scared, you're jacked up with adrenaline, with blood, and with your reflexes. If you're afraid..."

Junya rested his hand over Y/n's heart.

Junya: "You're invincible."

Y/n took a deep breath as he looked at Junya, before turning around wordlessly.

Y/n: "......Take a seat, old man. I've got....I've got an execution to get to."

Junya smiled proudly as Y/n walked away, turning into a beam of light in order to get to the stands as quick as possible.

As Y/n walked towards the arena, he felt a familiar shiver down his spine, and a feeling of restlessness. And as he stepped out into the light, he was greeted with applause.

This time, he was more ready for it. He wasn't as overwhelmed by them as he was before, although they still made him feel a sense of power.

As he stepped onto the arena, he saw in front of him, the prodigal daughter.