Calamity With A Side Order Of Gremlin

Magsimula sa umpisa

"About that," my other sister popped her head through the gap of the door. "She's been feeding almost all the vegetables to the rabbits again. So I need her to stay away while I water the plants."

A weary sigh was my reply. "Fine."

"Thanks." She nodded a 'hey' to the Madrigal cousins and left the bakery.

Now, there are three facts about Adriana:

She's obnoxious.

She craves attention.

Maybe a bit spoiled.

My mama sometimes compares me to her. "Why can't you be appreciative like your younger sister?" It sounds even more silly that I'm being compared to a five-year-old.

Adriana might seem like an angel, with her dimples and perfect teeth. Some even say she's beautiful as Isabella.

As if.

She's a menace. Always plotting something to get her way. Every time she gets in trouble, I'm the one to take her punishment.

Like the time at the marketplace. Adriana was right beside me until she got sidetracked by a butterfly and followed it. That's how naive she is.

After finding her tangled up in wet laundry (don't ask), I wasn't allowed to go anywhere for two weeks.

All because of a measly butterfly chase.

I set up a seat for Adriana and gave her a piece of paper and crayons. Her stubby legs hung from the edge of the high chair.

"Just sit down. I don't want to hear a fuss out of you." I took a leaf out of her curled brown hair and fixed her bow. I didn't plan on taking care of her today, but there's no way I'm letting her out of my sight.

She smiled, put the ice pop back into her mouth, and began to scribble furiously.

Whew.

"So, how's everything with Antonio's ceremony coming up?" I continued the conversation.

Camilo beamed. He always looked so proud, talking about his younger brother. "The little guy's excited. I wouldn't blame him. When you get a gift, it's always a surprise. Especially the new room."

I nodded in agreement. Every ceremony, after being given a gift, a Madrigal is given a room. But not just any room. The room could resemble what gift they were given. The new room could have a whole terrain inside. Mirabel told me about Isabella's room once. It was covered in pink and purple roses, she said.

Man, that sounded like a dream. "I wish I had a gift," I dreamily thought aloud.

"I want a gift too!" Adriana rudely butted in.

"Adriana!" I shushed her. "What did I say about keeping quiet?"

Mirabel backed her up, putting her hands on her hips. "Yeah, I want a gift too!" The two of them were staring Camilo down.

"What?" Camilo eyed them. "Do I look like I grow gifts?"

Adriana giggled. "I want your gift!"

He gave a sly grin like he was scheming something. It looked familiar, like Adriana's toothy smile. They are so alike, it's scary.

"Well, niña, I don't think you'll like my gift. Sometimes, when I think about someone I dislike, I accidentally become them." Suddenly, in a beat, he shape-shifted to me.

"Like try to imagine being in that person's body. Someone so annoying and petty." The phony did exaggerated poses and even imitated my 'high-pitched' voice: