Chapter 3

January 20, 2021

Once Evie arrives at the library and says goodbye to the officer who had kindly accompanied her, she goes up to the second floor of the library. As she decides where she should sit, Evie replays how she had found the body and tries to gather clues from what she could remember. She sits down in one of the far corners and takes off her bookbag. Now that Evie is alone, she thinks about how the person was murdered. There had been three knives protruding from his chest. Was it the killer's signature move? To kill with throwing knives? But why that person? If only she knew the killer's mind, then perhaps she could figure out why that person was murdered. Although if there was something Evie was certain of, it was how viciously the knives seemed to be thrown. As if it was something personal. Maybe the killer thought that they were doing right by committing that act.
Evie winced as a headache started to form. It was then that she realized she hadn't eaten anything for a few hours. But she wasn't hungry. If anything, finding the victim had erased her appetite. So Evie ignores the fact that she hasn't eaten anything and stands up to look around the library, to see if any book interests her. As she walks around a few aisles, she randomly picks a huge, black book. It seemed to be mysterious and Evie was curious enough to see what it contained. Once she sits back down, Evie looks at the title to see it is about supernatural creatures. She opens it up and flips through the pages to find out about the fair folk, vampires, banshees, druids, seers, kitsunes, werewolves, witches, warlocks, hellhounds, and phoenix's.
Evie pulls out her phone to realize the time it was. It was 8:30 pm, which meant the library would be closing in half an hour. She checked her phone to see if her father had called her, but she knew he didn't. Evie called him but there was no response. She tried to call him a few more times, but to no avail. Worry starts to overtake her and she hurriedly leaves.
~
As Evie walks down a few streets, she pulls out her phone and searches for the "Find My iPhone" App to locate her father's phone. The uneasiness that she had felt in her stomach grew the longer the stupid app took to load. After an eternity, it showed her the way to her father. Evie only hoped she wasn't too late.