"That's a lot to risk," Archie admitted. "What do you think Merlin would do?"

Douxie hardened his gaze in determination. "He wouldn't take the easy path, that's for sure."

* * *

Douxie braced as the school bell rang. Teenagers poured out of the double doors, laughing and blabbering, forming an immature tidal wave of mortals.

Douxie tucked his hands into his hoodie's pockets, scanning the crowd for a familiar face. Archie had assumed that Claire attended Arcadia Oaks High, the only major school in the area for someone her age. Douxie leaned flush against the brick wall to avoid the student's detection. 

Please don't let her be homeschooled.

Spotting her in the crowd, Douxie made his move. The girl jumped when she noticed his approach. She waved goodbye to her friends, then turned to face him.

"Oh! Hey! Douxie. Hi. How's it going?"

The wizard kept his expression cold, trying his best to channel his inner Merlin. "Follow me. We need to talk."

He led her away from the mass of students, towards the eastern side of the brick building. Douxie's eyes darted to and fro as they walked, scanning the shadows with additional care. When he was certain they were alone, he turned back to his slightly disturbed companion. 

Here goes nothing.

"You said you wanted me to teach you sorcery."

"Yes," Claire responded warily. "Wait. That does mean magic, right."

"Yes, that means magic." Douxie crossed his arms, mustering his courage. "I'm willing to give it a try. But magic is hard work. Do you understand that?"

The girl nodded rapidly, clutching her schoolbooks to her chest tightly.

I'm not getting through to her. I need something else.

His eyes scanned the patchy grass of the school's side yard. Turning back to the perplexed young maiden, he gestured to a small anthill in the dirt.

"See that ant? The one crawling this way?"

Claire squinted, peering down her nose at the tiny insect. "Yeah, I do."

"That ant is you," Douxie continued. "You've been in the dark a long time. The night we met, you came into the light, above the ground."

The wizard lifted his arms wide. "And you learned that the world is way, way bigger and stranger than you imagined it."

Claire's eyes widened. He could see her mind connecting the dots.

"There's adventure above the ground," Douxie continued. "But there's also danger. No one saw you when you were in the dark, but now? You're exposed. You're a target. Surrounded by others who are bigger, stronger, that know this world better than you do."

Douxie lifted his sneaker above the unsuspecting ant. Sensing the danger, it made a feeble attempt to outrun the massive wizard's wrath.

Douxie turned to look his pupil in the eye. "You make one mistake...and you might not have time to fix it."

Claire winced as his foot crushed its unfortunate victim, sending a small dust cloud whirling across the dry earth.

Douxie righted himself, facing the girl. Her gaze still lingered on his footprint in the sand.

"I'm not trying to scare you, Claire," Douxie continued, softening his voice. "I'm trying to warn you. It wouldn't be fair to you if I didn't."

Claire met his eyes, then shifted her gaze down at her biology textbooks. "It...sounds like a lonely world for an ant."

Douxie offered her a small smile. "Yeah. But maybe it doesn't have to be."

Claire ran her hand through her dark hair, avoiding eye contact. "I just...I need time. To think about this."

Douxie nodded. Good. She's finally taking this seriously.

"Here's my number," he said, pulling a wrinkled post-it note from his pocket. "If you decide you're ready, drop by the bookstore. Er, at night. That's when the magic stuff happens."

Claire tucked the paper into her textbook. "Thanks. I will." 

At last, she smiled at him, turning to rejoin her waiting classmates. Douxie swallowed hard, his grin fading as she left. He yanked his hoodie over his head, striding quickly out of the abandoned schoolyard. His heart pounded anxiously, thoughts racing through his mind.

Here's hoping this isn't a huge mistake.

Time will tell, I guess.