Chapter 1: Prologue

It hurt.

Searing fiery bursts pulsated throughout all her body, jarring and brutal. With each passing minute the pain only amplified, without hope of the briefest reprieve, and with each passing minute her consciousness ebbed. Black mists swirled at the edges of her mind drawing, taunting her into sweet oblivion.

And every time Naruto refused to give in. Every time, the roar of defiance tore out of her raw throat as she struggled against the chains – the bindings inscribed with special seals to contain Kurama and her.

She was not about to let her friend be eaten by a giant husk of a god, to let him cease to exist.

No matter the cost.

Naruto resisted the extraction with everything she got. Everything she still had left.

Kurama was silent for a while now, not even a growl. Being ripped apart, stripped of his very existence drop by drop as his chakra got absorbed by the hulking demonic statue. Naruto's heart constricted at the thought of how much pain he should be in now.

"So stubborn. Just stop resisting already."

Naruto bared her teeth and snarled at the owner of that deep, vile voice. A guttural, feral sound that had no place coming from a human's throat.

Obito Uchiha, however, only tilted his head to the side, sizing the teenage girl in front of him with dark amusement etched upon his features. "Still so lively," he noted as dry as sandpaper. "No matter. The Kyuubi will be extracted and the Infinite Tsukuyomi casted upon the world."

He stood so close... If she could—somehow could reach him—tear him apart—rip his heart out—shred him into pieces so small they would be unidentifiable—if—she—could—just—

In a rush of adrenaline, Naruto lunged forward, eyes glowing demonic red.

Obito retreated a few steps back, letting out quite an undignified yelp of surprise. Just in time too, as the claws swiped right there his throat had been a split second ago.

Chains creaked and whined at the strain, but managed to hold out and Naruto bounced back. Her head dropped, cascading red hair hiding her expression as she bit down on a scream that threatened to escape.

"Your resistance is futile!" the Uchiha hissed, angry now, his pride wounded. "I will save this world!"

His words splintered inside her causing more pain than the extraction, but Naruto only wanted to laugh. Save this world? Just how delusional a person should be to think that he could save the world by destroying it?

Just when the agony was at its worst, it dissipated. The relief was so sudden and unexpected, that Naruto slumped in her constraints, all the remaining fight zapped away in an instant.

A sound reminiscent of thousands of birds chirping filled the air with double wrath. The dark cave lit up with a ghostly light of electricity snapping and whipping around.

There was a loud noise and yelling. Fighting, Naruto distantly noted, but she had no energy left to even look. Someone's cold hand touched her cheek and she instinctively flinched.

"It's okay, it's okay," the familiar voice soothed. Another hand brushed disarrayed hair out of Naruto's face, a surprisingly gentle gesture.

Naruto forced her eyes open, squinting at the blurry blurb in front of her. Finally, the world slid back into focus enough for her to make out her father's face. His eyes looked so blue against the background of wild Chidori light, despite the black sclera that surrounded them.

Naruto's throat closed up. The tiny, "Dad..." that managed to squeeze out sounded particularly strangled.

"I'm here, Naruto. It's okay. Everything will be okay."