Chapter 18

Italics is mind link or thoughts, which I'm sure you guys figured out, but just in case here’s this note😁

As soon as the show was over, we got into our suits and made our way to the tech firm to stake it out. As we waited, Connor was the first to question. “If Interpol’s already on this, then why are we bothering?”

    “Because Batman said so.” I said a bit harshly. “Why? You have something better to do?”

    “How do we know the thieves will hit here?” Artemis questioned.

    “There are more obvious targets.”  Roy added.

    “And Faraday will have those covered.” Dick cut in. “Besides, I analyzed the tech already stolen, and the patterns suggest this is the place.” He then turned towards me. “How are you feeling, Blue?”

    “Lousy, actually, but I’ll manage.” I answered. We waited a few more minutes until Connor spotted something.

    “Contact! North East quadrant.” He said. We all looked in that direction and saw a figure jumping over the fence and towards the building. “Looks like we know why ‘Carlo’ missed the performance.”

    “Could be Carlo, could be his brother.” I replied. “Keep an open mind. And move in!”

    We all moved from our positions and towards the building the figure went to. 

    “Did you see which way he went?” Dick asked. No one answered for a moment.

    Connor suddenly spoke up. “The warehouse.”

    We made our way into the warehouse and saw the figure breaking into one of the crates. Dick gave his signature cackle, gaining the figure’s attention. The figure turned and saw all of us standing on a platform above him.

    “Caught red handed.” Dick said. The figure laughed and shot at us, but we all dodged out of the way in time. As I was taking cover behind a crate, I noticed it said, ‘live ammo’ on it. I looked around at the other crates and they all said the same thing. The figure aimed at the live ammo crates.

    “Those crates are full of live ammo!” I shouted. I looked and noticed M’Gann was right in the way. “Move!”

    I tackled her out of the way, but there was fire everywhere, making M’Gann weak. Connor growled. “This guy’s dead meat!”

    “Superboy no!” I shouted through my coughs. “You need to get her out.”

    He looked back at me. “He’s getting away!”

    “And that matters more than Miss M.?” I asked. “The fire’s killing her!”

    “Right, right.” He said, picking her up and getting out of the warehouse.

    “Robin! Red!” I yelled over the fire. “Find the thief!”

    “Because “he matters more than you”?” Dick asked. “You’re still off your gigs, Blue.”

    “We’re getting you out too.” Roy said. He helped me up and we made our way out of the warehouse and back to the circus.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    The next day we were all in our train car when we heard Haly arguing with Faraday.

    “Another weapons plant is hit, and once again the circus is in town.” Faraday said. “I don’t believe in coincidences.”

    “I don’t care what you believe. My people are not responsible.” Haly defended. “I did a bed check last night. Every single member of my troupe was asleep in their bunks.”

    “Well we sure weren't,” Roy said. “And if he’s lying about us—”

    “So two thieves right?” I cut him off. “The fire breather and one of the acrobats.”

    “Just in identical clothes!” Artemis exclaimed. 

    “Maybe not just two.” Dick said. “Here’s the Madrid security footage.” He played the security footage and we saw the strong man breaking into the weapons plant. “And now, Paris.” He played the footage and we saw the clown.

    “So, the strong man and the clown too.” Roy said. “If the entire circus is involved, Haly himself may be the mastermind.”

    “You don’t know that.” I replied coldly.

    “It would explain his lies—” He started but I cut him off by standing up.

    “I told you to keep an open mind!” I abruptly left the train car and walked around. I needed to cool off and more importantly, I needed to get my emotions in check. I need to be their leader, not an emotional wreck. As I walked, I passed a ‘Flying Graysons’ poster. I looked at it and the memories came flooding back. A few days after the funeral, Dick and I went to visit their graves, and we both ended up on our knees crying. The day Mom and Dad were murdered flashed in the back of my mind and I couldn’t help the tears that left my eyes. Suddenly I heard someone approach me; it was Roy.

    “Hey,” He said.

    “Hey.” I replied weakly as I looked down at the ground. “Look, I’m sorry for snapping at you. I just got so overwhelmed with my emotions and you guys blaming Haly just made me  snap. I didn’t mean to sound so cold.”

    “It’s okay, I understand.” He put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. “You have every right to feel that way; you and your brother both.” It was silent for a few moments before he spoke up again. “Look, I know how much this circus means to you and Dick. It’s where you grew up; it’s where you lost your parents.” He placed his pointer finger under my chin and made me look at him. “I should be the one apologizing. I never should’ve suggested it. I was just throwing ideas out there.”

    “You were trying to crack the case like the rest of us. I don’t blame you; I never should’ve reacted that way in the first place.” I said, shaking off his apology. He looked back at the ‘Flying Graysons’ poster.

    “You guys were amazing.” He complimented.

    “Yeah, thanks.” I replied, tears pricking my eyes. Roy noticed and embraced me, and I completely broke down in his arms. We stayed like that for a few minutes until we heard Haly shouting at the other acts to pack everything up. We approached him.

    “Need a hand?” I asked politely.

    He looked at me a little shocked. “I-I’m good, thanks. Maybe one of the others could use some help. A lot of them seem to have the flu.”

    “Yeah, it’s going around.” I replied, looking around at the others. All of them seem to be sick or feeling the effects except for one person; the clown.

    “All aboard, now!” The conductor yelled.

    “Come on Lor—Deana. We need to get back to the others.” Roy said. I nodded and followed him back to our train cart. But something about that clown didn’t seem right.