Chapter 15: For Me and You

Start from the beginning

"H-hello?" He panted out.

"Hey- Peter, are you okay?" I held my phone close, standing up from my chair. I was able to hear strange groaning and other weird noises in the background. I assumed he was looking after his neighbor's weird dog again.

"Yeah! Of course," He screamed out, making me pull my hand away from my ear, "Um, Ro, I'm kind of busy- Woah! I'm kind of busy right now." Was he- running?

"Right, yeah. I was just wondering if you could help me with this whole lizard situation." I kept my voice calm, trying not to think of what could be happening on the other side of the call.

"Mmm!" He yelled out with his mouth closed, followed by a splashing noise. He was definitely busy doing something.

"I'll leave you alone. Call me back when you're- done...with whatever the hell you are doing..."

With that, he hung up, leaving me speechless in the middle of my room. I snapped out of it, concluding that he was just doing some hard chores or messing around. It's Peter, what could he possibly be doing?

I plopped back down on the computer chair, returning to my original plan

"Alright, Connors. Who are you?" I whispered to myself, typing his name in the search engine. Thousands of websites popped up instantly. I immediately clicked on the first one.

I skimmed through the many articles of information, not one mentioning a lizard or transformation of the sort. It was like there wasn't a connection.

That's because you and Peter are the only ones who believe in this theory.

I cursed to myself, realizing I wasn't going to find much. But, then my eyes caught a chunk of words talking about his study in cross-species genetics. I wasn't a big fan of science, but I've heard Peter talk about this stuff. The topic also came up at the internship tour.

"Dr. Curtis Connors is the first man to successfully fuse DNA to regrow an organism's leg.." I read out loud, keeping a quiet voice to avoid Jaime overhearing. I scrolled down a bit, knowing that that sentence wasn't entirely true. Peter saw what happened to that mouse, and it wasn't pretty.

"Side effects...where are the side effects, the warnings?" I mumbled, scrolling down to the next section of the website.

Connors didn't tell anyone what happened to the mouse...

He didn't-

"Knock knock!" Jaime cheered behind my door. I shut my laptop and spun in my chair as she entered the room.

"Hi." I rested my chin on my hand, trying to hide my laptop, even though I had no reason to if it was already closed.

"I'm making burgers. Want one?" She played with the mini-stapler on my dresser.

"Honestly, I don't think I'm really hungry, it's almost going to be eleven-"

"I'm making tots too-"

"Yeah, I'll have a burger." I perked my head up, feeling my eyes light up at the mention of tater tots. She chuckled, shutting the door behind her.

I grabbed my laptop and carried it over to my bed. It was more comfortable for me to lay on my stomach, so I did just that. 

---

My head became light as the bright screen burned my eyes. Every single one of these websites was a waste of time. I felt like I could've used up my evening doing something more productive. Like study for my test...

I swung my legs around and sat up. My back had a hard time readjusting to this new position after laying down for such a long time.

I placed my laptop back on my desk to charge and left my dirty dish on my nightstand. Hamburgers and tater tots will always win my heart.