22

When Tom awoke the next morning, Fred's side of the bed was cold.

Still half asleep, Tom reached out for Fred; sitting up and rubbing his eyes blearily, Tom realised Fred had been gone for a while.

Realising Fred might have left in the night, without disturbing him, Tom leapt out of bed and ran downstairs.

He audibly sighed in relief when he found Fred making breakfast in the kitchen, Murphy sat at his feet, begging for scraps.

"Shoo, dog," Fred said firmly, placing Murphy on his bed and leaving him there.

The dog immediately went back to sit on Fred's foot.

Tom laughed softly.

"Very obedient, dog." He snorted.

Fred rolled his eyes at Tom, and handed him a mug of coffee.

Ignoring it, Tom went over and hugged Fred from behind, resting his chin on Fred's shoulder.

"I thought you'd left." He whispered. "I thought... I thought you'd gone in the night, to avoid saying goodbye."

"No," Fred twisted in Tom's arms so that they could hug properly. "I wouldn't do that."

"Good." Tom drew back from the hug and kissed Fred without thinking.

Fred moaned softly, responding tentatively to Tom's kiss, before he gently pushed Tom away.

"It's too hard, Tommy. Please, don't."

Tom nodded reluctantly, stepping back.

"Sorry."

Fred stood awkwardly for a moment, before he cleared his throat and motioned the work surface behind Tom.

"You can have breakfast, if you want," he said quietly. "There's bacon and eggs, or cereal. I think I've got some bread, somewhere, if you want toast."

"Eggs are fine."

They sat down to breakfast together at the table beside the window, watching the town come to life in front of them.

Within ten minutes, the cars were starting to back up at the traffic lights at the end of the road, full of parents taking their children to school.

"I've missed this," Tom said after a few moments.

"I know."

Fred drained his coffee mug and put it back down on the table, watching Tom sadly.

"Listen, I'm... I'm going to go for a shower. You can stay, if you want, or you can go home. I don't mind. I've still got loads of packing to do, so I know you probably won't want to stay."

"I'll help," Tom said quickly. "I'll run home and change, and come back."

*

When Tom let himself back into Freddie's house, he could hear the shower still running upstairs. Murphy greeted him with a soft bark. He bent and ruffled the puppy's ears for a moment, before he went upstairs.

He knocked softly on the bathroom door, and poked his head inside when there was no answer.

"Freddie?" He asked softly. "Are you alright?"

He heard Fred clear his throat and sniff loudly, before he said weakly,

"I'm fine."

Stepping inside, Tom went and drew back the shower curtain.