Chapter 5: the Grim Reaper

(Jacob's dream)

As we walked through the dark underground with nothing but crystals lighting the way, I began to gradually feel safer around Chara. When we finally reached the ruins, I volunteered to do the puzzles by myself, and completed them with ease. When we had reached their home, I could see two goats, one with slightly more broad shoulders than the other, were baking a pie of some sort.

"Mom, Dad, meet Jacob, a human from up above," said Asriel, gesturing to me.

"Ah, you must be Gingka's son, I've heard many good things about you," said the broad-shouldered goat. I guess the black scythe must've given me away. 

"I am indeed a descendent of Gingka, and I regret to inform you that both Gingka and Madoka have been...assassinated," I said, smiling, I winced at the thought of my parents.

"Where would you like to sleep?" asked Toriel, the slightly shorter goat.

"The couch should suffice, for now," I said, calmly.

"Ok, well, I believe there are some introductions in order," said Toriel, "I am Toriel, and this is Asgore, and I assume you already know Chara and Asriel." The four of them politely waved at me.

"I am Jacob, son of Gingka and Madoka," I said, respectfully kissing Toriel's hand.

"And I am Frisk, daughter of Toriel and Asgore, it's a pleasure to meet you," said Frisk, her warm smile making me feel all fuzzy on the inside.

I politely kissed her hand, "The pleasure's all mine, Lady Frisk, daughter of Toriel and Asgore. I look forward to getting to know all of you, but first, I think it's time I hit the sack. Watching your parents die is a lot more tiring than one would think." They all laughed, knowing that I wasn't using my real voice. When we all eventually feel asleep, I started to hear voices. Not like the voices you hear when someone wants you back in the real world, but the eerie kind that tell you really messed up, and how much of a failure you are. I started to sweat uncontrollably. I tossed and turned and flipped and flopped all over the couch. Trying desperately to get those wretched voices out of my head.

"It's your fault," they said, "If you hadn't gone to bed, they would still be alive."

"If I hadn't gone to bed, I would've died with them," I told the voices. Despite my efforts of trying to ignore the voices, they still continued to nag me about my parent's death.

"SHUT UP!" I screamed, "JUST SHUT UP AND LEAVE ME ALONE!" I heard footsteps pounding down the stairs, "Now look what you've done," I muttered to the voices, who after I had screamed at them, took that as an opportunity to finally leave me alone. My body was glowing a dark rainbow. Chara must've seen it too, because after she had finished her journey down the stairs and into the living room, she stood there staring at me in a stunned silence.

"Y-You have Rainbow Wolf aura?" she asked after about ten minutes of absolute silence.

"Yes," I said simply.

"Who did you get it from?" she asked, "And who were you yelling at?" 

"It's a long story, one that I would prefer to share in the morning," I said, calmly, "I was hearing voices, they were telling me that it's my fault that my parents are dead." 

"Ok, would you like me to sleep with you, or are you going to be ok on your own?" she asked.

"I want you to sleep with me," I said. Chara joined me on the couch, wrapped her arms around me and went to sleep, I also wrapped my arms around her, pulling her closer to my body. Sleeping with Chara felt somewhat...comforting. The next morning, I arose next to the smiling face of Chara, along with everyone else standing in a circle around me, as if they were preparing to perform some sort of ancient ritual.