(8) Thorn In My Side

Start from the beginning

I hesitate as she slings her backpack over her shoulder. It would be nice to hang out with them again before break. And a movie night sounds fun. But who knows what my other classmates have planned?

"I'll get back to you on that," I illused, still weighing the options in my head.

"Alright," the girl said, inclining her head slightly. "Well, if you wanna join in, it'll be at 8. And don't worry about snacks, we've got that covered. Consider it repayment for the bot fighting."

She winked a bright green eye at me, smirking as she walked out. I figured the group would do pretty much anything to get me to bring them back to Reina's. It had been almost impossible to get them out. And that wasn't even mentioning the ghosts. Rocket had told me as we were leaving to give him a second to get the spirits out. He figured that the Fujino's wouldn't like it if he had accidentally caused their house to be haunted, but I knew they'd probably be chill as long as nothing was destroyed. If anything, the twins would've gotten up to even more mischief if they suddenly had an invisible partner.

I merely nodded as she closed the door. Well, at least I have something to work towards now, I told myself as I returned to help Raiden bring the food to the tables.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

Whoever thought a horror movie would help "blow off some steam" was, respectfully, out of their damn mind. The entire night, I held a pillow tight to my chest, burying my face in it whenever something scary happened. Snake teased me that I was missing all the good parts, but I didn't care.

I remember biting down hard on my hand as the music stilled, anticipating a jumpscare. By the end of the movie, I was close to crying from fear. Looking around, nobody seemed to be as affected. Rocket was shaking his head, amused, Double was slightly trembling, but still laughing along with his friends. Snake and Dani had been pretty stone-faced the whole time. And Rose...

I glanced over to her seat and noticed she wasn't there anymore. I figured that she had gotten up to get a drink or something, but that's when something clamped down hard on my shoulders.

"BOO!"

I shot out of my seat, screaming bloody murder and smacking her hands off of me. I sent a wave of sound blasting behind me. When I turned, Rose had been thrown into a pile of blankets, cackling breathlessly. Picking my pillow up from the ground, I chucked it at her face, trying to take the attention off me as I regained my composure.

"Not funny," I illused, crossing my arms. The girl stood, yet was bent at the waist, laughing wickedly.

A skittering sensation up my leg sent me leaping aside, only to find Snake with her hand outstretched. Her fangs glittered dangerously and my eyes watered with betrayal. Rose commended her friend for a job well done and I had never felt more alone.

That was until Double spoke up. "Okay-okay, gametime is over. How about--how about a lighter movie-movie?"

I would've hugged him if I weren't so afraid of lowering my guard around the others. That, and I wasn't so sure he wasn't playing a trick on me either. He seemed to have good intentions, but still, he was closer with the others. Who knows if he's just really good at acting?

I watched Rose like a hawk until I resumed my position between Rocket and Double. I wasn't about to blindly trust either of them in this ordeal either. Eyeing Rose, I tried to think of the scariest voice I knew.

From a small point beside her ear came a voice like a snake slithering over metal, a dark, hollow, raspy voice that said, "I'm watching you, Tallulah."

I watched as she shook her head frantically, slapping a hand over her ear and looking around. Fear hurtled around her face for the briefest moment before it morphed into anger. When her eyes settled in on me, her expression darkened and I knew I was in for it.