Chapter 9 - Turbulence

After Hotaru left the Ubuyashiki Estate, [Y/N] had been looking at her Nichirin Blade for the past few minutes. Kagaya and Kiriya left the living room, with the both of them mentioning something about corps-related affairs.

Kuina and Kanata were with her, playing with their wooden dolls and muttering incomprehensible gibberish. They would sometimes pull on [Y/N]'s sleeve, garnering her attention every once in a while. Amane was busy looking after her children, a fond look washing over her face as she gazed at her three girls with adoration.

Remembering something, Amane Ubuyashiki perked up. Her lavender eyes glanced under the wooden chabudai, before she redirected her gaze to the young woman she was conversing to.

"[Y/N]?" Amane's soft voice reached the young woman's ears. Already setting her sights at the older Ubuyashiki, [Y/N] saw Amane pull something under the table, "We have something to give you."

Hearing this, the outlander's attention was further set on her mother figure. A square item was put on the table. It was wrapped in brown parchment, and it was obvious to the people in the room that it was an item of clothing.

"Go ahead, open it," Amane urged her, a small and gentle smile decorating her face. As a feeling of excitement washed over her, [Y/N] teared the paper, making a ripping sound that resonated halfway through the room. As she gazed at the wrapped piece of clothing, she noticed that it was a haori.

Her [E/C] eyes slowly widened. She looked at the unusual cloth for a few seconds before she slightly raised her calloused hand to feel its fabric. Unraveling it further, she picked up the haori and held it in front of her. Amane watched all this with yet another smile on her face, noticing [Y/N]'s flabbergasted expression.

"What do you think of it, [Y/N]?"

Speechless, the girl stood up and slipped the item of clothing over her void-black uniform. The twins heard shuffling from the other side of the room, and the plum eyes settled on their older sister wearing a haori. Their mouths gaped like a goldfish, and they hurriedly shuffled to their mother who welcomed them with open arms.

[Y/N] gazed upon the bronze mirror, she noticed that the haori covered the stark-white kanji on her back. It would certainly be a useful feature if she were to traverse the land of Japan as a masterless samurai. The musty-brown color of the mirror hindered her from seeing her haori's beauty, but she'll know that she'll get a chance to see it fully one day.

As the three Ubuyashikis gazed at [Y/N], the young woman noticed some things about her gift. The haori was in the shade of [F/F], and the fabric's design was suited to her taste.

It was simple and emitted subtlety, but it was worth it in Amane's eyes.

'She looks beautiful,' she mused to her thoughts, a small smile adorning her rosy lips. Unnoticeable to her and everyone in the room, a pale and slender finger twitched underneath the table. She doesn't want [Y/N] to leave this world, for she already saw her as her kin. Amane knows the young girl's fate is set in stone, and there's nothing she could do about it.

"Thank you so much for the gift, Amane-sama!"

"It's no problem, [Y/N]. Me and Kagaya have wanted to give you one ever since you passed the Final Selection," the white-haired woman replied. As a small smile adorned her delicate face once again, Amane situated Kanata on her lap this time.