Chapter 9 - USWNT

Start from the beginning

During our game, Kristie crossed the ball into the box, allowing me to tap it in. She also played a corner, angling it exactly where it was meant to go, and allowing Abby to get her head to it. She was proving to not only the team but also Vlatko why she deserved to play that game against the Netherlands.

"Kris," I said to her, after training, "you were on fire!"

"I don't know," she replied, "I could've placed that second corner better."

"Don't talk yourself down like that! No one can play those corners like you can!"

I walked with Emily back to the hotel, and we sat on my bed, talking until dinner. We each had our own room, in order to be as covid safe as possible, but Emily and I were used to breaking rules.

"Is it getting better?" Emily asked, as we lay on my bed.

"Is what getting better?"

"United."

"Oh," I replied, "it was never bad. There's just been some interesting situations."

"Like?"

"Just Groenen, really."

"But I saw those stats," Emily started to say, "you're both on fire. It's like you can read each other's minds."

"She's just a good player," I replied, "and that makes everyone else better."

"Did you ever find out why she didn't like you?"

"Em, its present tense, not past," I laughed, "and no, I didn't work it out." Emily tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear, and looked me in the eyes. She's never one to be sentimental or emotional, but sometimes, she does sweet gestures like that and I realise why I fell in love with her.

"I'm sure it'll work out. Babe, I mean, you're thriving over there."

I looked at my person, and gave her a sweet smile.

"You know," I said to her, "once upon a time there was a girl called Bradie and she, for some reason unbeknownst to her, fell for a weird girl called Emily. And they lived happily ever after."

"So, are we living happily ever after?" Emily asked, smiling.

"Only if you want to," I joked back.

"Of course I want to." She kissed me softly, and somehow I knew that everything had fallen into place.

The next week went fairly quickly and no sooner was it the day for our match against the Netherlands. We found out that the Netherland's star striker, Viv, wouldn't be playing in the match, so that was a bonus but also a detriment. It's good for us to match up against star players in order to be the most prepared for the big tournaments such as the Olympics or World Cup.

As we drove to the game, I knew it would be a tight tussle. I also knew it was going to be a bigger game now that I knew these players more. Danielle Van De Donk and Jill Roord played for Arsenal, and of course Groenen played for United. Groenen. That would be interesting.

"Okay," Vlatko said, as we sat in the locker room, "Bradie, Christen and Sophia at the top, Sam, Rose, and Lindsey in the midfield, Abby, Kelley, Becky and Emily in the back, and Alyssa in goals. I want each of you to go out with the intention to attack and attack hard. They are not at full strength at the moment so we need to prove that we can win convincingly against them. Everyone ready?" We all cheered and headed out to play against the orange team.

We headed out to the pitch, and when we walked on, I saw her. We caught each other's eyes, but neither of us smiled. It was now becoming this weird and awkward tension. It was no longer confusing but rather annoying. I just needed to work it out. Why didn't she like me?

When the game commenced, it was already a tight tussle. Both teams were having good possession but neither were able to convert.

In the 34th minute, Sam was streaming down the field with the ball, and as she passed it to me on the wing, I aimed to cross it into Christen. Jackie came up behind me, pushed me hard in the back, and gave away a free kick. I looked up at her from the ground, and when she caught my eye, I knew it wasn't done with malice.

"Sorry," she said, offering her hand and helping me up.

"That's alright," I replied, taking it and standing up.

Nothing eventuated from the free kick, but it was starting to become more physical. Rose soon scored in the 41st minute, to give us the break, giving us all deja vu from when she scored the goal in the World Cup final in 2019.

During the second half, Kristie subbed on. When she did, both Sam and I and the rest of the team couldn't stop smiling. She was coming on. It was incredible. Only a few minutes later, Kristie went on to score. It was her second national team goal, and her first in over six years. It was incredible. When the ball hit the back of the net, I ran up to her, wrapping my arms around her, so incredibly proud that she had done it.

"I knew you could do it!" I said to her, smiling.

After the game, we shook hands with all the Netherlands players. When Jill and I did, I whispered in her ear.

"How's Indi?" I asked her, smiling. Jill laughed nervously, knowing that their relationship wasn't public to most people yet.

"You know?"

"Of course I know. Indi's like a little sister to me."

"Well, she's great," Jill replied, laughing.

"Tell her I miss her."

"Will do."

When it got time to shake Jackie's hand, I gave her a soft smile, trying to build something more than a game partnership.

"Good job," she said to me, shaking my hand.

"You too," I replied. We were civil, and that's all I cared about at that moment.

After the match, I was being tagged in a lot of videos from the game. One account uploaded the photo of Jackie tackling me.

Preathxjindi: Well, this was interesting. So, we have jackie groenen and bradie van dyk, who are manchester united team mates, tackling on the pitch? These two have one of the most deadly partnerships in the wsl, and yet they are risking that for an international friendly. This looks more suspicious to me now than when I first looked at it. What do we think? Are they both just really passionate or is there a hidden frenemies situation going on?

Walshisonisreal: they are just playing the game, i don't think we should read too much into it.

Krindifan11: probably just a lazy tackle. Doesn't even seem like jackie knew it was bradie anyways. And Jackie did help her up, so I think it's nothing.

Soccerlover11: they both r so hot when they play. Like this isn't fair!!

I turned my phone off, and instead turned my attention to Vlatko and his end of game speech.

It was a good few weeks in camp, but now, I was just excited to get back to England, and hopefully figure out what the hell was going on with Jackie Groenen.